Monday, January 13, 2014

New or Improved?

I recently finished reading Pastor Tullian Tchividjian’s book, Glorious Ruin. As the subtitle (how suffering sets you free) implies, it is a wonderful resource for finding purpose and hope in the midst of suffering. It is a gospel-saturated writing that I highly recommend adding to your Amazon wish list. Out of the many paragraphs that I highlighted and phrases I underlined, there is one particular passage that describes God in a way that really jumped off the page and caught my attention.

“God does not get things done in the world by merely adding a new coat of paint; He brings the house down to the foundation so that He can build something new. God does not argue with us so that we take our medicine and get well. He raises us from the dead! (Glorious Ruin, p. 169)”

Not new paint, but something brand new. Not rehabilitating one from sickness, but bringing what was dead to life. While any well-intended effort would appear to be an improvement of sorts, only the resurrected newness that comes through Christ can reach the soul and promise the eternal hope of glory.

As I think back on my 33+ years, I’m reminded of how much of my life I spent throwing fresh layers of paint on in hopes of covering my numerous nicks and scratches. If only I start reading my bible more, I thought. Maybe if I pray more, sin less, or at least limit my overt sins…Maybe if I give a little more, try a little harder… Maybe then I’ll be presentable to God.

I tried many times in many different ways but the simple truth is that it wasn’t changing the situation. See, I could manage my behavior. I could check good deeds off a list. I could make the external nice and neat and even somewhat desirable. I’m sure people thought they wanted what I appeared to have spiritually. Yet, I couldn’t reach my own heart. I couldn’t make myself new.

To put it another way I’ve heard it said that our efforts in this regard are like putting new tires on a clunker. We may seemingly minimize our issues but real improvement hasn’t taken place, nor can it. In reality we do nothing more than suppress and hide problems when we slap on new paint or struggle to take our bitter meds.

And talk about disappointment… I remember doing all the steps that promised to make my life better, only to still feel empty and uncertain in my faith. Enter Jesus and the glorious hope of the gospel! By His grace, I began to realize that the answer isn’t found in our greater efforts or improvements but rather by shifting the focus off of us and on to Christ.

As we gaze at what He’s accomplished on our behalf, we find that deep soul satisfaction – the kind we all long for, the type that He alone can give. For our identity, success, purpose, and ultimate acceptance before God are found not in our abilities or even our obedience. Our acceptance comes through Christ and His obedience to endure the cross for sinners like you and I. We rest in the power of His resurrection.

So then, why is this so important? Well, we must consider how we communicate this good news. Are we pleading with folks to take their medicine and get better? Are we prodding them to do some self-help touch-up work? Or are we imploring others to rest in the finished work of the cross? Far more importantly, how do you interpret the gospel? Are you trusting in your ability to get better or in the God that raises dead men from the grave?


I’ll close with one more excerpt from the book. “My hope and prayer for you is that…you would be gripped by the glorious news of the gospel, that before God you are clothed with perfection, and when God sees you, He sees the righteousness of His only Son (Glorious Ruin, p. 185).” It doesn’t seem fair, does it? No way we deserve such love. It is far too merciful and forgiving for us to ever earn such favor. Indeed, we could never merit such goodness in a thousand lifetimes… I guess that’s why it is called grace. It's a beautiful thing. May we bask in His grace and dedicate our lives to sharing it.

matt@nbchurch.info     Twitter: @FattMowler     Facebook: TheFattMowler


Tchividijian, Tullian. Glorious Ruin : How Suffering Sets You Free. 1st ed. Colorado Springs, CO: David C Cook, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment