Friday, January 24, 2014

Pastors cry too.


Carol's tweet: #cutepregnantmom

I didn’t see it coming. I was minding my own business driving down Harvard Avenue, listening to talk radio, like I do several times a day, and it hit me like a ton of bricks.

Typically, there is very little that a talk radio personality has to say that affects me emotionally. I am aware that they are trying to gain an audience so they can sell more advertising. I’m aware that expressing extreme sensational views is a means to an end. But this was different.

The radio talk- show host read a statement from the President of the United States celebrating the anniversary of the Roe v. Wade which was issued January 22, 2014.

Today, as we reflect on the 41st anniversary of the Supreme Court decision in Roe v. Wade, we recommit ourselves to the decision’s guiding principle: that every woman should be able to make her own choices about her body and her health. We reaffirm our steadfast commitment to protecting a woman’s access to safe, affordable health care and her constitutional right to privacy, including the right to reproductive freedom. And we resolve to reduce the number of unintended pregnancies, support maternal and child health, and continue to build safe and healthy communities for all our children. Because this is a country where everyone deserves the same freedom and opportunities to fulfill their dreams.
As I listened to the statement being read, my eyes filled with tears of grief. My heart experienced a profound pain that I didn’t know was hidden beneath the shallow surface. The topic of the program was abortion. The harsh reality of the decision to permit abortion on demand resulted in the annihilation of 55 million infants. But why the tears? Why now and not the last 40 years of anniversary?
I am confident that my tears were caused by the sum total of the list below:

  • I received a photo via twitter from my wife last night of our daughter and granddaughter standing in their new nursery. I love this little girl, “C.C.!” I can’t explain it. It doesn’t make sense. But, again, my eyes are filling with tears of joy and anticipation as I type this sentence. Either I’m crazy or there is something profoundly overwhelming about being a grandfather!
  • As I heard the president’s political platitudes, specifically “opportunities to fulfill their dreams.” I wondered how many dreams were unintentionally snuffed out? I only raised three kids and I loved hearing my kids share their dreams but not as much as seeing my adult children achieve their dreams.
  • 55,000,000 is a staggeringly unconscionable number of lives snuffed out.
  • The Dr. Kermit Gosnell guilty verdict. [WARNING GRAPHIC CONTENT]
  • NBFamilies’ deliberate focus on God’s design for families has resulted in our honoring the high calling of parenthood. Acknowledging parent’s sacred role as the primary disciple makers of their children prompts us to remember just how holy and good is the privilege of parenthood.
  • As mysterious as is the - Imago Dei – it is the The Image of God that gives human life, male and female, it’s sacredness.
    • Genesis 1:26-28

    • Genesis 5:1-3

    • Genesis 9:5-6

    • Psalm 8:1-9
    • 1 Corinthians 11:7

    • James 3:9
Jill leading parent child dedication at her church
Although I admit that the sensationalistic propaganda from the radical pro-life extremists can cloud the issue of the sanctity of human life, today it was the raw emotion, and spontaneous tears that clouded my view. I wept as I considered the reality of such catastrophic loss and unmitigated gall to call this loss “freedom and opportunity to fulfill dreams.” The president promised "hope" and "change." I "hope" something "changes."

Until then, cherish your children, honor your sacred roll as parents, raise your kids and mentor them to become godly and vibrant disciples of Jesus, and keep the tissues handy.

Please pray for our families, our country, our politicians, and our spiritual leadership as we seek to bring real truth and freedom to the United States.God Bless America!

No comments:

Post a Comment