Monday, November 4, 2013

First, take care of self...


This morning’s blog is coming to you live from last Saturday morning. That’s right, folks! I was trying to find some extra inspiration by going above the clouds in hopes of getting closer to God for this one. So at an elevation of roughly 35,000 feet above the heart of SEC country, I was privileged to jot down a few thoughts. I promise to try to keep my blog short. For one, I need to freshen up on my Haitian Creole. For two, I need to finish this before we land, lest I become forced to scrap this whole in-flight theme I’ve got going.

The thing is I’ve never really paid much attention to the “safety instructions” on previous trips. Yet this time around I noticed an important sequence in the safety procedures. In a scenario in which we lose cabin pressure and the oxygen masks drop, we’ve been instructed to first put on our own masks before trying to assist someone else. While this might initially sound selfish to you as it did me, it actually makes a lot of sense. Before one can be of help to another, he must first be safe himself. If it doesn’t happen, there is a good chance that this well-meaning individual will not be around long enough to help. It seems imperative that we ourselves be healthy and plugged into a reliable source of oxygen. If we are not properly connected to our most important source, our efforts to help anyone else become more than dismally limited, they become non-existent.

Now if you notice in the illustration they’ve produced for picture book people like myself, a mother and her son are used as an example.  The woman first positions the mask with a sustaining supply of oxygen to her face. She then proceeds to take care of her little guy. Not selfish, not misguided efforts – it’s just simply the best hope for the both of them. Now, I know I’ve already tipped my hand and you are probably accusing me of over-spiritualizing things once again. However, there is a simple principle at work here that should be considered by parents that are longing to raise godly children.


It is simple. So simple in fact that it can be easily overlooked if we’re not careful. We must first have a connection to our Savior. We must be healthy and thriving, personally reliant upon Christ before we can be in any position to disciple our sons and daughters. Wanting more for our kids is natural. Hoping they experience better than us, well, that is to be expected. But wanting a faith for our children that we ourselves have never tasted is somewhat silly. How much of an impression has the ‘do as I say, not as I do’ mentality made on you as an individual? “Hey, place your faith in this Deity that I don’t personally know or understand. Believe in the One I’ve not yet trusted.” I mean that doesn’t exactly sound compelling, does it?

The spiritual wellbeing of our children is of utmost importance. Their knowing Jesus is as vital as the air we breathe. But another truth worth acknowledging is the significant role we are called to play in such development. And if we can look honestly for a moment, I think that most of us would agree - seeing faith walked out is far more impactful than having it only talked about. Jesus tells us to seek His kingdom and His righteousness, and we’ll find provision for all we need (Matthew 6:33). In this context, I believe the Lord is challenging us like so: “Seek me, trust me, be right with me, and you will be more than equipped to lead your family.” When our relationship with the King is right, our relationships and influence with others will be exactly as they should be as well.

So in closing… If you have dropped the ball as a spiritual leader in your home, pick it back up and remember that God’s grace is greater. To use the example from earlier, your child may very well find the mask, so to speak, and believe in Jesus whether you are of any help or not. Also, you can do everything right and the plane still may go down. Your salvation, my salvation, and your child’s coming to a saving knowledge of Christ, is God’s work – it is His doing all the way. Of course part of His grace towards us is that He allows us to participate as instruments of righteousness in His redemption story. Well, it is time to turn off all electronic devises and return trays to their upright position, so I guess I will wrap it up. With the hope that we can be around long enough to help and set an example in our words and deeds, Lord, may you lead us to first take care of ourselves…


matt@nbchurch.info
Twitter: @FattMowler
Facebook: TheFattMowler


No comments:

Post a Comment