Monday, November 25, 2013

Be moved...

Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays. There’s time to relax with friends and family, always plenty of food, football games on the tube, tryptophan induced naps, desserts, and plenty of leftovers for the next week or so. I mean, what's not to love? I also enjoy this holiday because its very title reminds me to pause and consider all I have to be grateful for. And as I count my blessings this year, I recognize God’s abundant grace and favor. I'm married to my best friend that just so happens to be extremely attractive and a lot of fun to spend time with (see picture below). We have three healthy children that daily bring genuine joy and laughter to our home. We also just moved into a new house with the help of many friends that put in some late nights of heavy lifting and unloading to help us make the transition smoothly. Meanwhile we had numerous others that offered to be available and would have been there had we asked. We are relationally rich! We are also fortunate to minister and belong to a church that seeks to make much of Jesus by proclaiming the hope of the gospel to families and individuals. Additionally, I’m grateful to serve alongside a staff and group of volunteers that not only care for each other, but also long to make a kingdom impact within our community. And that's just the tip of the iceberg (or for those who read last week, the visible part of the Easter Island heads). I could go on and on but the bottom line is this: The Lord has been so gracious! And while I am beyond grateful for all I just mentioned, I feel it is imperative that I express one more thing that I'm particularly thankful for this year… I am thankful for the ability to be moved.

My wife being exaggeratedly excited about my superb parking job.
A couple more inches and we would have lost our security deposit.

Earlier this month we were able to spend a week in Haiti. While we were there, we had some firsthand experiences of the raw realities of life. Of course, we saw entire towns and villages filled with people far less privileged than us. We saw poverty and sickness and a way of life that is far different from our cozy comforts here in the states. Unfortunately we also witnessed tragedy strike the community where we were staying, as a five year-old boy passed away with complications from an illness. Of all we observed, I’m not sure any was more impactful. As the parents mourned, we were blessed to see this particular village pull together to love and surround the grieving family. Look, I know that stories such as this happen here every day. In fact, I’ve had similar heartache visit some of my loved ones too. I hear sad stories like this far too often, but there was something about being pulled away from my responsibilities and routine that allowed me to slow down and take a special notice. The sorrowful news didn’t just pass by like so many others. It affected me. I was able to see and feel and soak up the emotion of the entire experience and it deeply moved me.

Honestly, I am grateful to be able to feel such empathy – to identify the value in others and see hurt in a way that produces a sense of compassion. Simply put, it was grace extended to me that allowed me to feel for those individuals. Lord knows there are far too many times that I’m indifferent or so consumed with myself that I have no real time to be concerned for others. My heart has been hard and distant for seasons, but God has been merciful to not let me remain in such a sad condition. He has closed the gap. He has drawn near and softened my spirit. This type of grace is so often overlooked, but in this season I’m extremely grateful for it. My prayer for us this week is that we may be moved. If we are in a rut, may the Lord bring us out! If we’ve been too hectic and busy to process His goodness, may He slow our pace that we might contemplate more deeply on Him. Perhaps as we consider the Lord's presence and provision, we might ultimately look to the cross and be reminded of the hope that’s found in the empty tomb. May we think on God and have our affections for Christ stirred. Might we see His favor that helps us to capture life’s significant moments and may we be moved.


matt@nbchurch.info
Twitter: @FattMowler
Facebook: TheFattMowler

No comments:

Post a Comment