Friday, October 18, 2013

I'M GOING TO BE A GRANDPA!

Grandpa Billy with my kids.

This is the first opportunity I have had to blog since I was given permission to reveal that I’m going to be a grandfather. I have been encouraged, by other grandparents, that this will be one of best experiences I have ever had. I am looking so forward to this!

My own father missed out on so may experiences with my children. He passed away when my kids were almost too young to remember him. This is one of the only photos I have with the four of them together. I am confident that he would be very proud of the young adults they have become.

NBFamilies say, “We should parent our children with our grandchildren in mind.”

This wise saying is inspired by scripture. The following Psalm teaches that the purpose of the family was to instruct the present and future generations through lessons drawn from the past (Psalm 78:1–8).
Psalm 78:1-7 My people, hear my teaching;
 listen to the words of my mouth. 2 I will open my mouth with a parable;
 I will utter hidden things, things from of old— 3 things we have heard and known,
 things our ancestors have told us. 4 We will not hide them from their descendants;
 we will tell the next generation
the praiseworthy deeds of the Lord, his power, and the wonders he has done. 5 He decreed statutes for Jacob and established the law in Israel, 
which he commanded our ancestors to teach their children, 6 so the next generation would know them,
 even the children yet to be born,
 and they in turn would tell their children. 7 Then they would put their trust in God
 and would not forget his deeds
but would keep his commands.
Passing on Godly values from generation to generation is essential for the future! Why? Israel is our example and in this case a very bad example:
  • Israel’s history was a record of rebellion against God
    (Psalm 78:9–16).
  • Faithlessness in the face of God’s faithfulness demanded punishment
    (Psalm 78:17–31).
  • Still their repentance was phony
    (Psalm 78:32–39).
  • Their defiance and ingratitude were all the more dreadful because of God’s faithfulness
    (Psalm 78:40–55).
  • Eventually their nonstop rebellion brought severe results
    (Psalm 78:56–66).
Discipling our children so that they will want to disciple their children is an indispensable mandate for families. Each oncoming generation must be taught to recognize God’s hand in life and history. Each child, preteen, and teenager must be led to distinguish between a changing society and godly moral values that do not change.

Incessant opposition to God always destroys opportunity, and changes the course of the future. A strife-ridden family, devoid of spiritual power and purpose, is a sad reality for many of us. Without realizing it we mistakenly use our own dedication to achieve ungodly pursuits to ruin ourselves. If we are not intentionally careful, we drive ourselves to work until we became so depleted and empty that we no longer live in the moment with our kids. Sadly, many of us never discover that life is about filling yourself up so that your blessings overflow onto others, especially our kids.

This is the aim of NBFamilies. NBFamilies partner with one another to encourage, equip, and be accountable to one another to profoundly influence our kid's faith. We raise our children with our grandchildren in mind so that they will know “the praiseworthy deeds of the Lord, His power, and the wonders he Has done.”

1 comment:

  1. You're going to be an awesome grandpa! :)

    ReplyDelete