Thursday, October 3, 2013

Eucharisteo

In her book "One Thousand Gifts: Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are", Ann Voskamp wonders "How do we find joy in the midst of deadlines, debt, drama, and daily duties?" Ann "invites you to embrace everyday blessings and embark on the transformative spiritual discipline of chronicling God's gifts. It's only in this expressing of gratitude for the life we already have, we discover the life we've always wanted...a life we can take, give thanks for, and break for others." 

She goes on to explain in the book, "In Luke 22:19, in the original language, "he gave thanks" reads eucharisteo. The root word of eucharisteo is charis, meaning "grace." Jesus took the bread and saw it as grace and gave thanks. He took the bread and knew it to be gift and grace thanks. But it also holds its derivative, the Greek word chara, meaning "joy." Deep chara joy is found only at the table of the eucharistie, the table of thanksgiving. She asks the question,  "is the height of my chara joy dependent on the depths of my eucharisteo thanks?"

I want to take this time to "eucharisteo". I have SO MUCH to "eucharisteo" for: I'm thankful daily for my salvation and the redemption God gave me through His son, Jesus Christ. I'm SO VERY thankful for His call to ministry and for me to serve in ministry at New Beginnings. I'm SO VERY thankful for my wife Monica, for my amazingly gifted and talented children: my two daughters, Larissa and Bridgette, for a son-in-law and husband to Larissa, Brian Heimer, for my two step sons, Karis(which means also "grace"  Greek) and Kenny, and for our newest member to the family, my16 month old grandson Urijah. I am so very blessed and humbled to be their father, father-in-law, step-father and grandfather.

Children are a gift from God. Today, I want to invite you to join me at the table of the "eucharistie" and challenge you to find things to "eucharisteo" for each day in our children. So that we can find the deep chara joy that comes from "giving thanks."




Terry Langenberg
Twitter: TheLangenberg
Facebook: TheLangenberg

No comments:

Post a Comment