Friday, July 4, 2014

The happiest 4th of July in a long time!

Miss C.C. is on Oklahom with Grandpa Phil.
My first grandchild arrived in Oklahoma yesterday. If you call you will have to leave a message. If you text me you will likely not get a reply. I am totally distracted by this little girl. I am writing this blog post a day before she arrives because, well I have no other plans but to spend time with her and my daughters.

You see, I don’t get to see her as often as I would like. I spent her first 2 weeks of life with her and I wouldn't trade that time for anything. But the last 4 month have been difficult. I have seen photos of her. I have seen videos of her. I have even visited in “real time,” live over the internet (Skype/FaceTime).

But face to face time is different. I plan on seeing her smile for the first time in person. I plan on finding the right way to make her smile. We will spend some time in the rocking chair. I will sing to her again. I will pray over her again. I will cherish watching her mother tend to her. I will enjoy watching my extended family fall in love with her too.



On the California beach with my daughters in 1987

Enough! What is the point of this post?

Repeat this truth aloud to yourself, “My time with my kids is brief. I will try and cherish every moment!”

I know how long the days may seem when all your kids are young. I know how easy it is to become fatigued and phone in your effort as a parent. I know how often you can hear your parental title whined when you are needed, “Daddy?, Daddy?, Daddy?, Daddy?, Daddy?, Daddy?, Daddy?,….Mommy?, Mommy?, Mommy?, Mommy?, Mommy?”

But, take it from me. There will be a day when it gets very quite. There will be a day when the house stays clean and things stay picked up. There will be a day when you can afford things you could not afford when the house was full of kids. If you have raised your kids with confidence and an adventurous spirit, they will one day fly away and soar. You will often be very proud and sometime be very lonely. You will miss them.

A screen shot of us "Skyping" with my California kids.
Seize every opportunity to make memories. Look for chances to have a Faith Walk (observe God at work around you). Plan to have a Faith Talk (an intentional family time of conversation about God’s Word/Story). Arrange for your family to experience a Faith Mission together (joining God in His mission to change the world).

You won’t regret investing your time, your money, and your heart in your family. But you will regret it if you don’t.




Please excuse me. I must get back to my granddaughter.


Dr. Phil Sallee, Pastor
twitter.com/philsallee
facebook.com/phil.sallee
philsallee.info
nbchurch.info
nbfamilies.info

No comments:

Post a Comment