Monday, July 7, 2014

A special place to be...

Please allow me to apologize ahead of time for what you're about to read. While I've blogged before from aboard a plane headed to Haiti, this is my very first time to attempt to post from my phone...in the mountains...on vacation. Needless to say, I won't have much help in catching my many grammatical errors & misspellings. So, please humor me & try to look past them :)

I will keep this brief and to the point. It has been quite a day. We took off early this morning and have traveled from Bixby, OK to Bailey, CO & beyond. We just sat up camp a few hours ago & currently (1am-ish CST) myself & a few others are driving to a trailhead to take on our first two 14ers of the week (Mount Shavano & Tabeguache Peak).

This will set the pace for a week of adventure that, Lord willing, will return us home from a week of camping exhausted and in need of a long nap. That's the goal though... Somehow in the midst of being surrounded by God's majestic creation & being physically challenged to my limits, I oddly enough get recharged. A lot of other guys do too. This is a place where The Lord has faithfully reenergized myself & others for years now.

With this being my fourth Mancation to take with the church and having numerous other personal trips spread out in between, I've seen many men come in need of a break - in need of connection and unwinding, blessed to leave refreshed and encouraged. This is a special place & a time I truly look forward to each year... And here's my question: Have you discovered such a place or thing for you? Where do you go to get your battery recharged? When are you allowed to talk honestly with other believing friends? When have you intentionally spent time to find The Lord through unique challenges and conversations...through the kind of rest that He alone provides?

If you don't know, this isn't me rubbing it in because I'm currently getting to. Rather, my hope is you might be encouraged to find such a time and place soon. I believe it is John Muir that is known for the following quote: "The mountains are calling & I must go." I agree but would prefer to alter it slightly to say: "Since God has been faithful to meet me in the mountains, I must go every once in a while." Not nearly as catchy; probably not gonna see that one on a bumper sticker anytime soon. In hopes of being crystal clear, it is God that I worship & not His Rocky Mountain masterpiece. He has wired me in such a way to find joy in Him while spending a week away in the outdoors. Guess it could be worse, right.

As much as I love the mountains, if it were only for a week of play, I'm afraid I'd have to decline. I love & enjoy my wife & kids far too much to just be gone for a week. However, when I can come here and take time to hear Him & be captivated again by His awe-inspiring beauty... Well, that is something special.

With all that being said, I'm going to get back to enjoying it. I have many stories (& pics) to share from past & present & I hope to do so in the near future...just when I can do them more justice.

Psalm 19:1-6 describes one of the unique ways that God speaks to us. Have you paused to listen? (The rest is pretty awesome too!) May we seek Him, see Him, hear Him, & make much of Him in all we do.

Please pray for our safety & I'll see you again next week!!

Matt Fowler

No comments:

Post a Comment