Friday, July 11, 2014

I cried when this happened

I didn't cry when this happened

I didn't cry when this happened either

I have spent some time this week (not enough) with my granddaughter C.C. this week. As I anticipated - I held her, rocked her, changed her diapers, sang to her, and prayed over her. These are moments I cherish as holy and sacred. But these were not the holiest moments of the week. The purpose of this blog is to describe the most holy moment and to share with you some great news!

You can have holy moments like I am going to describe too!

The first night CC, her mother Julie, and her Aunt Jill were in our home Julie described CC’s nightly ritual. She described how she would bath her, wrap her up snuggly, read to her, and pray with her. After that she would lay CC down in her crib where she would quietly fall asleep on her own.

Then Carol and I marveled as we became eyewitnesses of the blessed nightly ritual. It was one of the most precious things I have ever seen. It moved me to tears of joy to watch my daughter passing down the gospel to her daughter – my granddaughter.

It was sweet.

It was biblical (Joel 1:3; Psalm 78:4).

It was right.

I am not exaggerating when I say, “This experience served to remind me and energize me that NBFamilies is a cause worth devoting my time and attention!” To the families at New Beginnings Church I say, “We are on the right track!”

  • I am aware that this was a perfect night and every night isn’t perfect.
  • I am aware that there are seasons of life when kids make it difficult to try and pass on “the praiseworthy deeds of the LORD, his power, and the wonders he has done.” (Psalm 78:4)
  • I am aware that Julie may have received more gospel influenced parenting than you may have received.
  • I am aware that the modern pace of family life today is better described as frantic, hurried, wild, and anxious.
  • I am also aware that the modern pace of families leaves parents and their kids worn out, frazzled, spent, and exhausted.
But if families succumb to the pressurized pace of the prevailing culture they accidently allow the culture to mold their families into something they will regret. Further, they will miss those sacred moments when God’s plan is experienced and God’s glory is felt.

Understand this, you have at your disposal a church that is dedicated to helping you reclaim your faith and your family. You have a pastoral staff that meets weekly to strategize how to most effectively partner with you to rescue your family from the cultural chaos and disciple them into a genuine, vibrant, growing disciples of Jesus.

Next week I will introduce you to some resources that you can use to get started in becoming an NBFamily. But this week I will get back to enjoying these holy and sacred moments.


No comments:

Post a Comment