Thursday, July 24, 2014

Family and Surprises

Last weekend Monica and I took another trip to Iowa to see our daughters, son-in-law and our grandchildren. I thought it was going to be normal weekend visit, however, my daughters had another plan. They have been working with Monica for weeks on planning a surprise birthday party. My 50th birthday is coming up soon in August.They rented a sky box at the minor league baseball park and invited my mom and dad, sister and brother in law and their family as well as my best friend since I was age 6 and his wife. They did a great job of surprising me. I had no idea what was up. It was really fun for me to see everyone. It was also as much fun for me to see the excitement in my daughters eyes that they had pulled off the surprise on their daddy without him knowing about it.

As I think about writing on this topic of surprises, I think back over the years of how I enjoyed surprising my daughters at Christmas and for their birthdays and sometimes for no special occasion at all. I was trying to create memories, but I was also trying to bring joy to their hearts.

I can see now how they have taken on that tradition. I remember when my younger daughter Bridgette surprised me on a Sunday morning at New Beginnings where she sang a solo during worship on Fathers Day. It was her first time to ever sing at church on stage, ever. It blew me away and I cried like a baby. I remember my oldest daughter Larissa and son-in-law Brian, surprised me on a trip to Oklahoma by arriving way earlier than they told me they were going to arrive, so that we could have more time to spend together.

What is it about surprises that bring us so much joy? And what is it about surprises that make them SO memorable? Maybe it's because the person or persons doing the surprise cared enough to make a plan and to pull that plan off. Plans like that take time and commitment to see them through. Plans like that take a giving and unselfish spirit. Maybe it's also because the person or persons doing the surprise, received joy from providing some happiness and joy for the person being surprised.

Do you think God likes to surprise us? Do you think Adam was surprised when Eve showed up? I wonder if Adam had a smile on his face and joy in his heart when he saw Eve for the first time? Or Saul and his armies joy, when they see David knock out Goliath, surprise! What about any of the miracles performed by Jesus, surprise! Or when Jesus rose from the dead and then showed himself to Mary Magdelene, surprise! What do you think their facial expressions were like when they were surprised? Do you think you would see joy on their faces? Would they feel joy in their hearts? Check out some pictures from my surprise party below. I see joy on their faces. We had a great time together!I am SO thankful for their willingness to share their time with me to make a memory that was very special.



 Think about all of the blessings you have received from the Lord. Did any of those surprise you? When you think about those blessings, do they make you smile? Take some time to reflect on the blessings that God has surprised you with. Now think about blessing others, your family, your friends. Think about creating memories by creating joy for someone else in your life.


No comments:

Post a Comment