Monday, May 27, 2013

Home


There is just something about being home... Familiar surroundings invite you to let your guard down and be yourself in a place where you’re truly known. Home is a place of rest – a retreat to escape from the demanding world each day. It’s safe and it’s secure. Indeed, there is something very special about home.

It is heartbreaking thinking that because of the disastrous tornadoes of a week ago, so many will be forced to re-establish a new “home”. Thankfully this state has pulled together and offered hope to our neighbors in need and shown that home is more than just a location. It is not remanded to a certain house or city but to an environment that offers a sense of love and belonging.

But if home is more about what you make it than where you make it, there is an important question to ask. What kind of home are you building and what type of environment have you created? While my desire is that we all might enjoy the fullness of a safe, encouraging, life-giving home, I pray there is more.

Recent events have reminded us of the fragility of life and the uncertainty of tomorrow. Shaken and scared, our hearts look to the God that is bigger than all hurt and fear. Scripture speaks of a sacred rest that is found in Christ (Hebrews 4:1-11). Greater than any earthly home that can be taken away, our hope in Christ is a spiritual haven – an anchor for the soul (Hebrews 6:19). We simply come as we are, trusting in the Savior, and discover a sense of home satisfaction for our tired, weary souls. For it is in Christ that we finally find rest.

I’ve grown up in Oklahoma my entire life but have never been more proud to call this my home. I’m touched to be a part of such a remarkable state where people are willing to compassionately reach out and help each other. But if I’m honest, I’ve also found myself longing for my heavenly home. I’m ready to be free from the heartaches and burdens that are so connected to this life and be united with the One who carries us through these trials. This past week has reminded me of how blessed I am to live in the heartland but even more grateful that my soul is anchored to Christ.

In more ways than he may have originally intended, I think that L. Frank Baum penned it rightly. For truly, “There is no place like home.” 


No comments:

Post a Comment