Wednesday, April 17, 2013

30 Days to 100% Jesus

Last week we started a new series at New Beginnings on Sunday mornings called: 100% Jesus!!  For the next several weeks, months and maybe years we will be walking through the Gospel of Mark.  I'm very excited and I think it came at the perfect time in my life and prayerfully a good time for you as well!!

Several weeks ago I shared a little bit about where I was personally in this season (check it out here) and then last week I even shared how God has once again called me to a live fully focused on Him (check it out here).  This week as I was preparing to write a new blog post about family (check back next week) I was struck again with an urge to head a different direction.

On Sunday in our NBHighSchool class (that meets at 9:30a in the Loft) I asked a question:
"What keeps you from being 100% in with Jesus!?"
Some of the answers were of no surprise but some were gut wrenching honest... Here's just five of them:
- I can't hear God when I pray
- I don't feel strong enough (I don't want to let folks down when/if I mess up)
- Why do so many "Hard" things have to happen, if Jesus is so loving?
- Why are there so many different religions (and denominations), if it's just about Jesus?
- Distractions (I'm really busy)

After this conversation I went home and asked myself the same question... What's keeping me back?  Was it all the movies I watch, hanging out with friends, not having enough time... All of those seemed like likely candidates so after throwing out some ideas a group of us landed on this: 

100% Jesus: 30 Days to total focus of the mind, spirit & body!! 


For the next 30 days focus on these three areas...
Mind
- Cutting out Biggest Distraction (TV, Movie, Social Media, News, etc.) 
- Adding a Christ centered Activity (Fellowship, Reading, Journaling, Memorization, etc.) 

Spirit
- Read through the Gospels (3 chapters a day) 
- Prayer 5 Times a Day (Self, Family, Church, Government & World) 
*Here's an idea of when to pray: 7a, 10a, 1p, 4p & 9p

Body
- Daniel Fast (Fruits, Vegetables & Water) **Daniel 1: 12-16 & 10:3
- Work-Out 3 days a week (Minimum) 


Though I know doing these things will not answer every question.  I also know this is not 'the way' to be 100% Jesus... HOWEVER, I do know that it will put us in a place to think clearly and focus on the God of the Bible (read a little about the original 'experiment' here).  To "cleanse", if you will, all that is around us and focus on Jesus in all aspects of my life!!  
Bottom line: if we are not "all in" for Christ why do we expect our sons and daughters to be!?  The old adage is true: "You cannot lead someone where you have not already been"

Please join me (and others) in this intense focus for the next 30 days... Maybe you want to just focus on one of the three areas, maybe you want to make your own... Just do something this month to move closer to being 100% Jesus!! 

Father, may You give us courage and strength to focus our Mind, Body and Spirit!!  May we celebrate discipline, like so many disciples have done before us, and lead our co-workers, friends and families to the cross!!  May we not settle for a life that looks like everyone else's and instead begin to look a lot different to others!!  May we see revival in South Tulsa because of our obedience!!  May You make less of us and much of You!!

What is holding you back from being 100% Jesus!?



***If you are interested in joining a group committed to encouraging one another as we take the next 30 days to focus on Jesus, please visit HERE and introduce yourself (tell us what you're doing and how we can pray for you this month)!!

No comments:

Post a Comment