Monday, April 22, 2013

No Ordain-ary Gift


How do you respond as the recipient of a big gift? Of my myriad of struggles, this topic is one of the toughest for me. While I enjoy being spoiled and I find myself truly grateful for the many gifts received, there comes a point when it is nearly too overwhelming. I mean, what do you do when you’re abundantly given more than you can ever repay?

My family has been in an extended season of being blessed. From our wedding showers last fall, to our big day in November, to house warming gifts, Christmas presents, St. Patty’s Day offerings (ok – I actually made that one up), to most recently, my ordination ceremony where we were loved on in a variety of ways - we have been so graciously given to! Financially, practically, thoughtfully, with kind words of encouragement, tender prayers for guidance… Folks have literally blessed the socks off of us only to turn around and supply us with new footwear!

Ok, so you get the picture. Much grace, much favor, blessing overload… So how can we really say thanks? I mean, we will continue to write thank you cards but are well aware of the fact that mere words can never fully express our gratitude. If we were to have as many days as Methuselah, it still wouldn’t be enough time to prove our thankfulness for the love and support we’ve been shown. But then, perhaps that’s the point of grace…

Red & Kathryn have been big contributors to this incredibly sweet season. As I spoke with Red last fall about how difficult it is for me to receive so much, knowing how undeserving I am, he shared a little story with me. Now a very successful businessman, it has not always been so. When he was much younger and just getting started, Red had an older gentleman gift him quite well. He offered to repay his friend but was simply told this…

“In the future you will have an opportunity to help somebody else out, and when you do, you will be paying me back.”

What a beautiful picture of the gospel call! Not only are we to be recipients of grace but dispensers of it as well. What an amazing showing of stewardship to truly take those words from decades ago to heart, and pass them on.

As I think on this, I realize it’s never been about paying anyone back. And maybe thankfulness looks differently than I’ve imagined. Perhaps deep gratitude comes as we turn our gaze heavenward and find divine motivation to live more focused and on mission, realizing that every good and perfect gift is from above (James 1:17). Maybe these blessings are meant to remind us of what Jesus accomplished for us on that cruel cross. Maybe the point of grace is that we bask in it. Rest in it…then share with others.

It is a lot to think about for sure and I can not pretend to understand all of this season’s intentions and implications. However, there is one thing I’m quite confident of. How we respond when given much, speaks volumes to our understanding of the gospel.

A Ray Ortlund tweet I saw yesterday said it perfectly. “God is rich in mercy, and a big spender.” May we receive it well and make the most of each opportunity.


3 comments: