Thursday, February 14, 2013

The "Presence" of Love

Happy Valentines Day to everyone! I get the blessing of being able to blog on Valentines Day and what kind of blog would it be if I didn't talk about "love" on Valentines Day? I could take this topic a thousand different directions, beginning with talking about how much and how many ways I deeply love my wife, Monica.

But this Valentines Day, I wish to share with you a recent conversation I had with my oldest daughter Larissa, 27, married, with 8 month old son, Uriah Daniel. She said "Dad, you get to write your blog on Valentines Day. I'm sure you will be talking about love, right?." So I asked her what "love" has meant to her, when she thinks about me, her father.

Larissa was 6 when her mom and I divorced. I was a single dad for the rest of Larissa's childhood and most of her teen years.Being a single dad and only getting a weekend or two per month, annual vacations and holidays to visit, I was not "present" like a father would be and should be in their children's daily lives. THIS is just one of the many reasons why God hates divorce. But God, through my salvation, His loving mercy and saving grace helped me to transform into the Godly father I could and should be, under those difficult circumstances that my daughters never asked for or deserved.

What does this have to do with love? Larissa talked about the times we spent together, vacations to: Canada, Disney, two Green Bay Packer games, take your daughter to work day and more events and occasions. And when I thought for awhile, after our conversation, it came to me that all of those times centered around "time spent together" being in each others "presence". How important that must have been for her, since I wasn't in the home like a "normal" dad would or should be on a daily basis. Then she said this, "but when I think about love and you dad, I think about how you were always there for me. Even though you weren't there to tuck me in at night, I knew I could count on you to be there when I needed you." And then she said, "and you know dad, that is exactly like our relationship with God, we can't see him, but we know He is always going to be there for us."


So, on this Valentines Day, regardless of your situation as a parent, "be" there for your children, "be" present in their lives, but even if and when you can't "be" there physically, make sure they know you would "be" if and when they truly need you. THIS is the kind of love our Father has for us.

1 John 3:1 "Look at how great a love that God has given us, that we should be called God's children."
1 John 4:8 "The one who does not love, does not know God, because God is love."
Hebrews 13:5 "....for He himself said, I will never leave you or forsake you."

Happy "Love" Day.....may you make it an "eternal love", instead of a 24 hour deal each year.

"I love you Larissa....and I love you too, Bridgette, Karis and Kenny, son-in-law Brian and grandson Uriah",
Always and forever,
Dad




Terry Langenberg
Twitter: TheLangenberg
Facebook: TheLangenberg

3 comments:

  1. Nice job Terry. (I'm a little choked up) It is so important to "be there" whether you are physically or not. I can be in the same room with my kiddos and still not "be there" because of distractions or worrying about the cares of the day. When I'm "there" I have to remind myself to be "all there".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate your transparency & willingness to share from your life - great post Terry!!

    ReplyDelete