Friday, February 15, 2013

Mommy & Daddy, who are you?

Ephesians 1:3-8, 11-14 help us see the markers of our identity in Christ. If we truly begin to believe our identity in Christ, we would stand a little taller, and hold our heads a little higher. If we truly begin to believe any it, it would impact the way we live and the decisions we make - including parenting.

From a negative perspective, if I only believe that I am 1 of 7 billion people who are living on the earth-there were billions born before me, and there will be billions born after me - then I may begin feeling insignificant and alone. Unfortunately, our children may be feeling the same way.

Nancy Pearcey reminds us,
“the Bible does not begin with the FALL but with CREATION our value and dignity are rooted in the fact that we are created in the Image of God, with the high calling of being His representatives on the earth. In fact, it is only because humans have such a high value that sin is so tragic... [But God] restores us to the high dignity originally endowed at Creation-recovering our true identity and renewing the Image of God in us.
  • What if our children to grasp this identity that is available in Christ?
  • What if this truth were to sink down deep into the bedrock of who they are?
  • This would be life-changing, wouldn’t it?
God chose us parents, to be the first person who would usher this truth into our child’s hearts. He has entrusted us with unique privilege of helping your children discover their identity!

Michelle Anthony wrote a statement based on Ephesians 1. She wanted each of her children to be immersed in this truth so that they would know in their core who they were when they were tempted to make a decision that was incongruent. Michelle put this statement on the wall next to their beds, on their mirrors in their bathrooms, in their lunches, and in their Bibles - so they would remember who they were when the enemy attempted to seduce them to believe otherwise.

My name is __________ _____________. I am the chosen and adopted child of the Most High King. I am the heir to the eternal inheritance waiting for me in heaven. I have been bought and completely paid for by the Perfect Sacrifice of Christ’s own blood and I am sealed throughout all eternity by God’s Spirit. Don’t mess with me!

This is the confidence we want our kids to have. This is the truth we want running through their heads. I’m a child, I’ve been bought, I’ve been chosen, I’m adopted, I’m an heir, and my sins have been completely paid for.

4 comments:

  1. I think a lot of times our kids don't know who they are in Christ because we have forgotten who we are in Jesus. In the words of the great philosopher, James Earl Jones(as Mufasa in the Lion King), "Remember who you are...you are more than you have become...Remember, remember, remember".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Chris! Christ in you, the hope of glory! Colossians 1:21

      On another topic: this week in the blogosphere: For those keeping score, Ice Cube, Huey Lewis, and Musafa have been quoted. :)

      Delete
  2. I love the last line of Michelle Anthony's statement for her kids to read. After affirming their status as God's beloved, a simple warning that again speaks to just Who is for them, "Don't mess with me!"

    ReplyDelete