Monday, January 26, 2015

Another 52 Weeks, Another Big Takeaway

Another year of blogging is in the books and another lesson has been learned. But before I share this year’s big takeaway, let’s take a look back at the past 52 weeks.

Happy Campers (blog #9)
“To drink or not to drink?” was this year’s most read #MattMondays blog. The fact that it received the most traffic says a lot more about you, the audience, than the me, the writer, doesn't it? Many were disappointed to learn that the post was about coffee. I apologize. Perhaps we can attack the topic of alcohol later this year.

As you know, most blogs are accompanied with a picture or two. Of my two faves from this past year, one had me posing with the Prince of Preachers, while the other placed my mug on Mount Rushmore. Oddly enough, the blog that showed Sir Paul with his fly wide open was also among the most highly viewed. Readers, I am starting to see a trend here.

Last January
I neglected to cover as many holidays in year number two as I did in year number one, but of the special days I wrote about, Groundhog Day was the most popular. Maybe people wanted to do it over and over again… No?! Ok. Anyway, while some things changed others remained the same. I continued to conclude most blogs with an ellipsis (the dot, dot, dot thing). However, I made more punny attempts, such as “My “but” looks different” and Thyme, to check the list…”  (of course, even there I used an ellipsis). I also referred to myself as MattGyver and tried to be clever with that one Seder-ade line (not my best work). I probably most enjoyed taking my hack at horseracing. I may or may not have been overheard in the office exclaiming the phrase, “And down the stretch they come!!”

Last May
While my first year gave me the opportunity to blog from 35,000 feet in the air on our way to Haiti, this past year actually allowed me to send my weekly writing out from the Haitian village of Neply. My earliest post ever (12:45am) was accomplished from this summer’s Mancation trip, and it also had a rather unique setting as I blogged from outside of a Buena Vista gas station just hours before attempting a couple 14ers.

I have been privileged to share some special moments about each of our kiddos, Brooks, Chan, and Mati. And as I look back at their stories and the pictures that go along with them, I’m blown away by how much life has changed, by how much our children have grown, by the many seasons and various trials that are now in our rearview.

Last October
Here is the big takeaway: a lot of the time when we are growing, we do so completely unaware that it’s happening. Let’s think back to our childhood for a moment… Daily we would get up, get dressed, and check ourselves out in the mirror (at least most of us). Never did we notice that we were growing, yet occasionally we would need new clothing, new shoes, and not solely because our other options were worn out, but because they no longer fit. Growth was happening but so subtly that we failed to notice it in the moment.


As I’ve gone back and skimmed the previous 104 blogs, I’ve seen lots of change. Of course our kiddos are bigger now, but there is more to it than just that. I remember the personal challenges and hard-taught lessons that prompted various blogs. I’m reminded of the battles and struggles my wife and I have fought in pursuing obedience – in our parenting, scheduling, and trusting of God. And while many of these obstacles still remain, they are different. My wife and I have discovered some new ways of handing certain issues; we are more experienced in our communication; we are surrounded by a deeper community of friends; yes, by God’s grace there is more balance and a better rhythm to life. Essentially, there has been growth, but not until reflecting on these matters recently, was it even noticed.

Christmas 2014 (blog #100)
And friend, this is my encouragement to you today. Reflect on your life for just a bit. Consider where you were six months ago, a year ago, five years ago. Though there is always an infinite amount of growth for us to pursue, seeing God’s grace and mercy, His faithfulness to sanctify His people, well, it leads us to a place of genuine gratitude and praise. Despite the above-recorded highlights (or lowlights), this blog is not about me or my family. This is a reminder that He who began a good work in you is faithful, and He will bring that work to completion. Might we think on His goodness toward us on this day, for the glory of His Name.


Matt Fowler
NBC Family Pastor of HS
matt@nbchurch.info
@fattmowler

No comments:

Post a Comment