Monday, February 17, 2014

If I were president...

Have you ever thought about what it would be like to be president? Ever picture yourself crossing the Delaware like Washington or delivering the Gettysburg Address in the days of the Lincoln? Well, I have. I still do occasionally. I’ve actually even considered some things I would change if I were elected to the position of chief executive. I would move our country to adopt a four-day workweek in hopes of promoting a healthier balance for families. I would create a new national holiday where the country is encouraged to sing their each and every comment for the entire length of the holiday. It would be like one giant musical in which each person played a role. How could one not enjoy something so goofy? We could have it on the last Saturday of September and call it Matturday.

I’ve even considered more important foreign policy issues as well. I would work to strengthen our relationship with the Republic of Djibouti. No special reason besides the fact that it would be funny to hear people try to pronounce the nation. Children and immature adults like myself would be sure to giggle at the sound of “jee-boo-tee” and that can’t be a bad thing, right. I would also work to clean up television advertisements by fining companies for inappropriate commercials, especially those aired during programs that would anticipate the viewership of children. Lastly, I’d change the intro music from “Hail to the Chief” to David Bowie’s “Fame” or possibly James Brown’s “Living in America”.


You get the idea. I’d have a blast, but I’d probably be pretty lousy with the important details! Funny thing is though I am aware of my inabilities to fulfill a leadership role such as president, I’m still foolish enough to try to fill the shoes of an infinitely greater position. Sure, I would never say that I should be God, but my actions unfortunately often reveal a belief that I could do the job better. And guess what? While I am untrustworthy to carry launch codes for the nuclear football, I’m far less equipped to govern the universe, much less my own path.

Sometimes I act like I deserve better. It’s as if I think God owes me something. Then there are other occasions that I’m reminded of my frailties – my struggles – my inability to ever reach the perfection required to stand before a holy God. In these moments I deny that God could love someone like me. At the root of each side of this pendulum, is pride. A pride that thinks I know better than God. His plan isn’t always clear to me, so I question. I feel undeserving of His love, so I try to hide. Truth is that He knows more. He knows me better than I do myself. He knew what He was getting into. There are no regrets with Him, no take-backs with God. While I am right about being unworthy, I miss the point of the abundant hope of the gospel. For this is exactly why Christ came – that we might be covered with such grace and mercy.

I’m guessing I’m not alone in this area of struggle. As a people we are prone to fall into the guise of having “control”. Since we think it is something we actually possess, it becomes an illusion we pursue. We easily confuse our wants with His will. So on this day that I have silly daydreams about kicking my feet up in the Oval Office, may I remind you of the One who is truly in control – the God that turns the heart of kings & presidents (Proverbs 21:1) to fulfill His good and perfect will. Paul’s words are a sweet reminder of our blessed redemption. We are the inheritance of the Almighty and we are being grown and lead by His power within us…

I pray that the perception of your mind (the eyes of your heart) may be enlightened so you may know what is the hope of His calling, what are the glorious riches of His inheritance among the saints, and what is the immeasurable greatness of His power to us who believe, according to the working of His vast strength. (Ephesians 2:18-19)

May His power put to death the pride of our hearts in order that we might trust Him more deeply. I pray we will contemplate our blessed position in Christ and be reminded of the love that God has given us and displayed for us through the cross. Wherever He leads, may we know that He goes with us, before us, and for our good (Romans 8:28) and His glory. Happy President’s Day!!


matt@nbchurch.info     Twitter: @FattMowler     Facebook: TheFattMowler

No comments:

Post a Comment