Friday, February 21, 2014

You can call me Grandpa!


In my hand is my 30-year-old parent/child 
dedication bible.  Christ is the center of my
 life and that is how we plan on raising our 
children as well. Love you Mom and Dad!
You cannot imagine the joy that leaped out of our hearts when we saw the photo of Julie (left) this week on Facebook. My wife, and new grandmother, Carol replied in the comment section:

Mom and Dad = Gram and Pops--and we can't wait to have our new names. We are so proud of you and the godly woman you are and the godly man you married. So delighted that little pink Bible has "come back into play."

Last week I introduced an overwhelming experience that I was not prepared to encounter. I warned you that if you are mildly or aggressively annoyed that every new grandparent can’t stop talking about, thinking about, or bragging about their grandchildren there is something you need to know. There is not a thing you can do about it. This pride and single-mindedness will not change. Grandparents cannot help themselves!

Psalm 145:4-5 (HCSB) One generation will declare Your works to the next
and will proclaim Your mighty acts. 5 I will speak of Your splendor and glorious majesty
and Your wonderful works.

When faith in Jesus Christ is bridging the generations, when Jesus is real in the hearts of your adult children, when they commit themselves to raising godly disciple of Jesus, then the thrill you sense is unexplainably powerful!

Some grandparents may be asking themselves how they can continue to influence the faith of their grandkids. How can they plant, water, and nurture seeds of faith in their grandchildren?

Most grandparents look forward with delight and anticipation for the opportunity to “spoil their grandkids.” How many grandparents have said, “We can spoil our grandkids as much as we want, then we get to send them home?” This remark smacks of a passive aggressive payback. As Baby Boomers, who are well versed in excesses, become grandparents, they are bringing "spoiling the grandkids" to a whole new level.

  • Is spoiling their grandchildren the best grandparents can do?
  • Do grandparents really want to contribute to the stain of a selfishness and entitlement in their grandchildren?
  • What can grandparents do to influence the faith in their grandchildren and lead them to become vibrant devoted disciples of Jesus Christ?
Grandparents have a sacred and unique opportunity. They can model genuine growing faith in Jesus. They can be genuine evidence, to their grandchildren eyewitnesses, that faith in Jesus makes a difference.

Effective and genuine discipleship is more about “being” than about “doing.” Our grandchildren need to observe our faith. Grandchildren must experience a realistic faith relationship between God and their Grandma and Grandpa.

Last week I told you about my Grandfather, Webb Fox. Webb Fox was my mother’s dad. He was a strawberry farmer and a custodian. He wasn’t educated. He barely survived the depression. Because of his thankfulness for President FDR’s New Deal Work Programs he was a lifelong Democrat. Every opportunity he had, he would share his testimony. It was a sordid story about a broken down sinner saved by grace who became a New Beginning in Jesus. What does the Fox say? He said, “Jesus saved and changed my life!”

I remember my aunts complaining that they had heard their dad share his testimony too many times. Webb Fox raised a house full of daughters, including my mother, with the same undeniable faith in Jesus. If you “google” Webb Fox you will find no trace of him. But if you look at the lives of his daughters and their families you can’t deny his faith was indeed influential! Yesterday, I showed this description of her father to my 78 year old mother. Her eyes filled with tears and her head nodded in humble appreciation.

  • Grandparents can model gospel-like relationships – with forgiveness, kindness, and grace.
  • Grandparents can model a reverence for God’s Word – by reading, singing, and listening to grandkids read the bible.
  • Grandparents can model faith – by giving blessings to their grandchildren fruitful, and powerful spiritual future.
  • Grandparents can model an abiding, Spirit guided life – by praying with grandchildren regularly, spontaneously, and listening to your grandchildren’s prayers.
  • Grandparents can model vibrant worship – by pointing out God at work in nature, in daily life, playing in the park, walk in the neighborhood, and circumstances where God reveals His glory.
  • Grandparents can model unconditional, gospel-like love – through patience, endurance, and displaying the serenity that comes with many years of loving and being loved.
Julie, C.C., & Kyle Partin
As I compiled the list of ways that grandparents can model influential, generational faith. I found my eyes moistening with joy. I sensed my heart quickening with anticipation. And I felt my heart swelling with a profoundly overwhelming love. I will cherish the sacred and unique opportunity. This “later-years” break is indeed “grand!”

You can call me Grandpa!

2 comments:

  1. Phil - just love this writing. It's so exciting to see you both thrilled with little C.C.'s arrival. You are so right about grandparents. Thank you God for blessing us with our tiny brothers and sisters in YOU!

    Great Aunt Dianne-y!

    ReplyDelete