Monday, February 10, 2014

Feel the burn

I’m okay with winter. I’m not a huge fan of cold, but since it occasionally brings beautiful snow accumulations, I can put up with it for a season. My only real complaint for this time of year is that my hands typically endure a beating from the elements. It seems the frigid temps and dry air keeps my knuckles red and irritated well into March. Thankfully my sweet wife has encouraged me to be proactive against this by regularly applying lotion. Yeah, I know it is far from the most masculine comment I’ve made on here, but it is true nonetheless. As long as I routinely treat my hands with this heaven sent moisturizer, I’m good. However, the times I forget and wait for skin irritation to remind me of my need, well, it can best be described in one word: OUCH!!!

This got me thinking of how similar this is to scripture’s role in the life of a believer. For me, it seems that when I’m regularly in the word, meditating on truth, I seem to have a healthy perspective of my life and purpose. I see things more clearly. I don’t mean to suggest that all of my stress and struggles disappear; rather, I’m just more prepared to handle them. I’m able to see trouble and trials for what they really are. Oh but the weeks that I drift to such a distance from God that His promises seem but a faint memory in my clouded mind… In these times I become vulnerable to the rough conditions of a bitterly cold world.

The irony is similar to that of my hand lotion. If you’ve ever put lotion on an aggravated area of skin, you know what I’m talking about. It hurts! Yet it is the first step toward restoration. The thing that stings the most is the one thing that can actually bring healing. I look at the scriptures and see how silly I’ve been – how sinful, how unfaithful, how stubborn. Honestly, it is painful to be reminded of my shortcomings and inconsistencies. But as David reminds us the sorrow is only for a time (Psalm 30:5). For as we continue to put on truth and seek healing in the word, we find that our failures are no surprise to God. He is well aware of our inability. That’s why He sent His Son in our place. We read and see that all that have believed upon Him have been reconciled through the cross. As Christ cried out from Calvary, “It is finished!”

What a blanket of healing and comfort that is offered to the weary soul in need! But here is where the comparison breaks down. While I can adequately administer the necessary lotion for my hands, the Word is not just to be consumed as an individual. Sure, we can and should be in the Holy Scriptures as often as possible. Not because it earns some kind of special favor with God, but because we have found them to be sweeter than honey (Psalm 119:103). However, we must recognize that we all have blind spots. We are unable to see all the areas that need to be saturated with gospel truth. We may be cognitively aware at some level but we just cannot see the entire picture. Therefore, the fullness of scripture’s application is realized in community. When we can be vulnerable and transparent with others, the living and active word (Hebrews 4:12) slowly permeates the surface level of managing our exterior appearance and begins to heal the deepest parts of our soul. It is in this place of sharing life with others that we are able to be challenged, encouraged, and known in such a way that growth and strength are sure to be found.

But be warned, the “OUCH!!!” will more than likely come from this type of vulnerability. People will hurt you. You will let down your walls only to get burned. You will share your fears and doubts and pour out the most embarrassing parts of your soul, only to more than likely have your confidence violated. That is the tough part about sharing life with other fallen people. However, there is a sting that leads to healing – a reward of being known that far outweighs the risk of being hurt. The healing that can be found is worth any injury we might incur. Sometimes community reveals places in our hearts where we are hiding sin – places we’ve not yet entrusted to God – areas we’ve failed to submit to Him. Sometimes we see that there is a better way to love and serve. Sometimes we just need to be reminded of our unperfected status and know that we’re not alone. It can hurt, but it can heal.

It is important that I emphasize to you that I have not always had such blessed friendships in the Lord. In fact, my testimony is that the lack of godly community positioned me to stumble down a path that was far from the straight and narrow. So more than speaking of how wonderful it is I warn you of how dangerous life can be in its absence. While I’m currently enjoying the relief and peace of being known, it is not easy. It is something that must constantly be pursued… Look if I fail to take care of my hands, then I’ll suffer some painful months but I’m not worried that bloody knuckles will lead to amputation. Continuing to remain on the dangerous island of isolation, however, may result in loss that is quite severe. So for some this is an “Amen” moment. For others, it is a topic that is challenging or perhaps even provokes anger. I hope that it can be a simple prodding to seek and find the healing lotion of God’s word lived out in community.

So, do you have someone that encourages you in your faith? Who is it that challenges you? Who knows you well enough to be aware of your struggles? Who has permission to share honest concerns about your wellbeing? These are just a few questions to consider... May God lead us into gospel communities of folks that are mutually loved and known and eagerly seeking to love and know Him more.


matt@nbchurch.info     Twitter: @FattMowler     Facebook: TheFattMowler

No comments:

Post a Comment