Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Eternal Life In Christmas


Since the first time I heard the song, "All I Have Is Christ," by Jordan Kauflin, I knew it would be a lifelong favorite. The song is on the "Looked Upon" CD from Sovereign Grace Music. Here's Jordan leading worship with this song:


I've mentioned it at several funerals and usually post it on Facebook when I feel it's fitting. I'm like the guy who orders the same thing every time at the restaurant. I know it's so good, so I keep going back to it. It's gospel fluency and pointed focus on Christ is beautiful. 

As some of you now know, our first son cried out to God for forgiveness, reconciliation, salvation, and hope just a couple of nights ago. This song has been one of his favorites for the last couple of years, but he had never made a profession in following Jesus. 
There have been times he has expressed guilt and sadness over his sin. There have been a few times he has even cried when talking about his sin or need for forgiveness. But guilt and sadness do not necessarily mean salvation is present. 


  • 2 Cor. 7 speaks of two type of sorrow. There is a "Godly sorrow" that produces repentance which leads to salvation. And there is "worldly sorrow" that leads only to remaining in spiritual death. 


In times when he came with tears and true sorrow before, we remained patient to see if there was a lasting desire for removal of sins and lasting, earnest sorrow for sin. On one hand , how much sorrow is understood and explained by a seven year-old? On the other hand, how many times do we as parents, desiring salvation for our kids, jump at the first opportunity to a "sinner's prayer?"  

The other night, he was reading Matt. 1:21 "and you shall call His name Jesus, because He will save His people from their sins." Those words became crushing to a seven year-olds heart. He needed relief from the weight of his sin. And there was nothing he could do to remove himself from it's grief. There was one Man standing between him and God who had taken his place and as the song says, "suffered in my place." That Person, Jesus Christ, became captivating! 

Simply put, I love the repetitive lines, "Hallelujah, All I have is Christ...Hallelujah, Jesus is my life." I hope he begins to plumb the depths of what life could mean if the main thing that matters is Christ and life is found in Him. 

His two favorite songs to this point (leaving out the secular "Big Green Tractor" by Jason Aldean) is "All I Have Is Christ," and "Just Like You" by Lecrae. Here's why I let you know that: Because my son hasn't understood how bad life can hurt nor seen sin for all that it is to the depth that adults should see it. Nor has he been involved in drug dealing and drunkenness in urban settings where that's the norm. But God makes Jesus so beautiful and captivating that even young children can understand the glory of His worth. 



Here are the lyrics:

I once was lost in darkest night
Yet thought I knew the way.
The sin that promised joy and life
Had led me to the grave.
I had no hope that You would own
A rebel to Your will.
And if You had not loved me first
I would refuse You still.
But as I ran my hell-bound race
Indifferent to the cost
You looked upon my helpless state
And led me to the cross.
And I beheld God’s love displayed
You suffered in my place
You bore the wrath reserved for me
Now all I know is grace.
Hallelujah! All I have is Christ
Hallelujah! Jesus is my life

Now, Lord, I would be Yours alone
And live so all might see
The strength to follow Your commands
Could never come from me.
Oh Father, use my ransomed life
In any way You choose.
And let my song forever be
My only boast is You.

Hallelujah! All I have is Christ 
Hallelujah! Jesus is my life
© 2008 Sovereign Grace Praise (BMI), by Jordan Kauflin

We're amazed by God's grace poured out on our undeserving son. There's no equation to spiritual parenting, faith mission, faith walks, and faith talks. God doesn't grant salvation based off of our attempts at parenting our children towards Godliness. It is by grace alone in Christ alone where justification takes place. God grants salvation because His beautiful and glorious Son left the holiness of heaven to be ripped apart and killed on a cross so that seven year-old boys could be free from His justified wrath and instead love Him and enjoy His worth for all of eternity!

Sankie P. Lynch
nbchurch.info
nbfamilies.info
sankie@nbchurch.info




No comments:

Post a Comment