Friday, December 20, 2013

How Strong?

Class of 1978 Yearbook
Tomorrow I will be 54 years old. Whew! It types even older than it sounds. In 100ish days I will become a grandfather. Whew! How did that happen? I’ve been told that this new adventure will change my life in ways that I cannot even begin to imagine. How strong is the loving bond between family?

Yesterday I visited the Early Learning Center Christmas program. It is a day when proud parents and grandparents come to see their children sing Christmas songs. I was moved by watching teary eyed (with tears of joy) grandfather’s video taping every move to be reviewed each Christmas for generations to come. I wondered if I will have a grandchild singing at New Beginnings Church some day. How strong is the loving bond between family?

At the program I saw a lady my age who had just lost her elderly father last week. As I expressed my condolences, she became teary eyed too (with tears of grief) and had to excuse herself to regain her composure. How strong is the loving bond between family?

Since I started typing this blog I received some heart breaking news that a father of two families in our church, a beloved grandfather to his grandchildren, is at the point of death. Death and life is a very true reality for every family. It is the living that makes a difference for future generations. But it is death that reminds us how deeply we love. How strong is the loving bond between family?

  • This Christmas remember these important truths:
  • Christmas, as crazy as the schedule can be, is a time for families. Spend your time intentionally bestowing honor and value on the ones you love.
  • Remember those who are grieving the loss of someone special this Christmas, send them a text or give them a call and tell them your heart grieves too.
  • Know that when God became a baby boy that He knew this baby boy would take on the sins of all of humanity past present, and future.
  • Know that when Jesus was born, God’s eyes must have been teary too (with tears of joy and grief). Just 33 years after Jesus was born in the humble stable He would be hanging on a tree suffocating to death. Jesus paid it all. He washed our ugly stains of sins as white as snow.
  • Know that if you dream of a white Christmas, that you can the thankful that Jesus birth was the beginning of your sins being washed as white as snow.
  • Be intentionally thankful for Christmas time and do your best to create thankfulness in others too.
Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment