Friday, August 16, 2013

Thrilling Adventure!

If you don’t like to read stories about a man who loves his kids then stop reading now. One of the hardest parts about reading and writing for this blog is knowing that my kids have emptied from my nest. Don’t get me wrong, it’s nice having a little extra room, a little less drama, and a little extra cash. But I miss my kids everyday and I remember just how much I love them when I hear stories coming from California (Julie and Jill) and OKC (Josh).

One of the key features of NBFamilies is Faith Mission. In pursuit of achieving God’s mission to redeem the world we have dared to ask ourselves the following questions:
  • What would change for our families if we began to recognize our responsibility to spread the good news of Jesus Christ?
  • How would our family change and grow if we planned and went on a family mission trip instead of a family vacation?
  • What could God do through me and my family to reach our neighbors, our ball teams, our school classes or clubs, or our extended family for Jesus?
  • What will my kids learn as they watch me ministering with them to their friends or to kids from homes where whose parents are disengaged?

Carol and I took every opportunity to take our kids on mission trips and involve them in our ministry when they were young. All of their lives they have been PK’s (Preacher’s Kids). I have tremendous respect for PK’s because I saw what my three kids had to go through. They not only had to experience firsthand the hypocrisy of their pastor/dad (me), they were also forced to experience most extreme incidents of ugliness from their church’s parishioners (you).

Some PK’s rebel from the church, run away, and never look back. Others carry the missional torch and continue serving God and working His mission. I am honored that my kids each have carried the torch in their own way. I shared stories about Julie, Jill, and Josh. I also told you how they were each great storytellers.

Today I’m going to feature my oldest daughter Julie and her husband Kyle. Recently, I explained how they were involved in a very unique ministry called Cares Ministry.

Watch this local Los Angeles news report and get a glimpse of what God can do through a young couple who thinks and lives God’s Mission.


ABC 7 News Spot - Highland Park 1,000 Backpack Giveaway from Freedom Church on Vimeo.

Last week Julie reposted the Facebook post from ABC7 the Los Angeles news station.
More than 2,000 backpacks full of school supplies are being given away this morning.
1,000 backpacks will be given out at Freedom Church in Highland Park starting at 9 a.m. - no strings attached. The other 1,000 will be given out the church's Chatsworth branch at the same time.

The church is trying to lend a hand to those preparing for the new school year.

The Facebook post had over 3,382 “Likes”, and 464 “Shares.” Good news spreads like good news does.

I know parents don’t like to think about their kids leaving them home in an empty nest. But let me assure you, it’s going to happen. The only thing worse than your kids leaving home, is that they will still be living with you in their 30s and 40s. But they will go. The sting of missing them is lessened when you hear stories about them experiencing God's grace.

Live the mission as a family. Live God’s risky, adventurous, thrill of a lifetime mission. And when your kids leave home they soar! (Isaiah 40:31)

No comments:

Post a Comment