Monday, January 25, 2016

3 years & counting...

Today marks the beginning of my fourth year of writing #MattMondays here at NBC. And as I have done in each of the previous couple years, I will devote one blog to looking back at the previous 52. I will share some things that I’ve observed and learned along the way, as well as a few stats and fun facts.

If you’ve been one of our faithful readers, you may have noticed a slight change in my style this past year. Having greatly benefitted from reading Charles Spurgeon’s Morning and Evening, I noticed that I began two-dozen of my blogs in a similar M & E style. I started out each of these posts with a verse, quote, or portion of a passage, before elaborating on the opening phrase in greater detail. I enjoyed writing in this way; you can expect more of it in the future.

I had at least seven blogs based out of the Gospel of John. We walked our high school students through key passages of this NT book last fall. Hopefully, they’ll be ready to follow along with Phil’s new sermon series (LIGHT: The Gospel of John) that he just started yesterday. Five weeks worth of posts were devoted to the Lottie Moon Christmas Offering, and Isaiah 55 inspired another three.

Below is a list of my most read blogs from this past year with a quick sentence description for each.

This post gives a glimpse into our world by sharing part of our family story.
Since it worked out that Chandler’s birthday fell on a Monday this past year, I wrote about him and how we’ve witnessed God’s grace through our son.
I wrote this blog with my friend and boss in mind – our Executive Pastor, Terry Langenberg.
This blog was inspired by a line in Isaiah 55.
 #busyness I’m too familiar with this topic.
This was written about my fellow lifting partner, Mike Krebs.
I think the title kind of gives this one away.
I share a friend’s story about how he and his girls spent one of their days out of school.
Sure, you know Psalm 46:10(a), but do you know v.10(b)?
Careful, this blog was inspired by one of my favorite holidays, Groundhog Day. (Once you click on the above link, you may have to read it over and over again.)

Here are a couple more lists…

Top 5 Most Read #MattMondays (Through first 3 Years)
1. Worth a look (January 6, 2014)                                                
4. Sing a New Song (April 29, 2013)                                          

Other blogs I greatly enjoyed writing last year…

While the Lord is growing me in my ability to write, I have to admit that I published some clunkers last year (sorry, not gonna be sharing those links). I’ve put out some thoughts that just felt a tad underdeveloped. There were many Mondays that I was truly excited about what I was going to write, but then again, there were several times that I simply wrote out of a sense of obligation. If it appeared phoned in, I’m sorry, I was most likely slammed for time. Funny thing is that dilemma is representative of much of my life of faith. And really, my biggest takeaway from the last year is this: When I have time in the Word and margin in my schedule to reflect and process, life is so much more enjoyable.

Though I’ve talked and typed a great deal about rhythm and pace and balance, I’ve been a poor example of what this should look like in the life of a believer. For the sake of my own soul, my wife, our kids, and the ministry opportunities God’s given me, I pray that He will grow me in this area.

I truly appreciate all your support and faithful readership. It is my hope that I might play a part in encouraging and challenging you with the gospel. It is this hope that keeps me at it each week. Might 2016’s writing efforts be more helpful than previous posts of the past. For our joy and His glory, may we make much of Him…

Matt Fowler
Associate Pastor of Missions & Students
matt@nbchurch.info
@fattmowler



No comments:

Post a Comment