Monday, May 25, 2015

Right Where I Need to Be (Part II)

I’m thankful for Memorial Day. I’m grateful for the opportunity we have to pause and remember those who gave their lives for the very peace and freedom we enjoy today. I’m also appreciative of those that currently serve, for they willingly surrender their comfort and holiday leisure so that our families can rest in safety. While I am thankful for what this day means, I must honestly admit that I’m also just grateful for the day off. I look forward to such days on the calendar – days where we can simply relax at home.

In my April 27th blog I talked about being “right where I needed to be.” However, in that piece I also explained that such awareness of being in the right spot at the right time has only come from the unfortunate realization that so many times I’m not. Today I will be continuing with the same theme but looking at it from a different angle. Hopefully, I can explain how these last few days had my wife and I right where we needed to be.

My wife and I spent the last 4 days in Breckenridge, Colorado, one of our favorite places in the whole world. We did some shopping, some sleeping, some sightseeing, and a lot of resting (and yes, that’s different from simply sleeping). We had a wonderful time! But truthfully, our little getaway was way overdue. In fact, when we booked our trip months ago, we were ready to call for a timeout right then, but there was nowhere to fit in a break at the time.

As I’ve written before, sometimes our schedule needs to be more fluid than we allow. We must be okay with tardiness and cancelations, longer meetings and unplanned gatherings, for the Lord often orchestrates such beautiful adjustments to our plans. The reason we sometimes miss those opportunities to be obediently present is because we feel pressures – occasionally from the external expectations of others, other times because of internal pressures of how we want to be perceived. But shouldn’t we be able to do the right thing without worrying about how it might be seen?

As a pastor that serves in high school ministry I must say that spring and early summer are not ideal times for getting away. As a parent of three kiddos that currently are in their baseball and soccer seasons, I can easily say that it is an even more cluttered calendar that what I have professionally. Our children have games pretty much every weekend, and our high school summer camp is less than a week away as I type this. Because of that, many might suggest that our timing was poor, for look at all that needs to be done. And that’s precisely my point.

Take the specifics out of our story and consider your own rhythm for a moment. When is it good to get away? When is it financially ideal to spend time and money to be gone? Isn’t there always something? Lord willing, the floodwaters will dissipate and our children will have more ball games in the not-so-distant future. Hopefully, we have worked hard enough on camp stuff to do a week of intentional ministry well. But if not, it will be okay. It will all be alright. I’m not a big enough deal to thwart the plans of the Lord. There is nothing at work so important that it deserves all my free time. There is nothing that can only be done by me. I know that. Even if you’ve never met me, you know that. But don’t we often live contrary to this truth that we realize about ourselves? Don’t we sometimes live like the world will stop spinning if we take a break?

Ok…maybe it’s just me. Anyway, this is my point. I needed to hit the reset button. I needed to reconnect with my wife. It was good for my wife and I to be able to spend some undistracted days together in conversation without any time constraints. We needed to together repent of our busyness. We needed to invest in our individual walks of faith, as well as our marriage, for when we are right with God and each other, we parent better, we serve in His strength, and we are more focused on glorifying Him in the day-to-day activities of life.

This writing is not to justify our trip, for I have only One to answer to concerning that. This blog is not typed out to speak of “oh how busy we are,” for all of us are. Busyness is no badge of honor but something to be pitied, especially when it distracts us from daily seeking our Savior. No, I write this to ask you whether or not you feel a similar tension in your spirit? Do you long to be more purposeful in life yet struggle to know where to start? Do you sense that you are indispensible at work or that a more moderate pace would somehow be devastating? Is your job worth all your energy and effort? Does your family deserve more than your leftovers? More importantly, are you called to give them more than the depleted battery version of yourself? Is there any time for your friends? Have you any margin for others outside of your tight-knit circle?

I’m not at a breaking point nor am I questioning my call to the gospel ministry. I’m not in a bad place at all. I’ve just been convicted about how I’ve neglected my first priorities as a husband and father. Wouldn’t it be horrible for me to be seen as this great guy by most everyone at the church and as an absentee, grumpy, short-tempered, dude at home? I don’t think that’s where I am. Lord willing, that will never be our story. But I know this: without God graciously allowing us to evaluate where we are, without Him mercifully sustaining us, without His providential hand of guidance, I could easily be drawn astray. As the old hymn states, “prone to wander, Lord I feel it.”


My prayer is that whether at home or work, fulfilling our schedule or deviating from the original plans, that we’d be found faithfully, obediently doing His will, right where we need to be. Well, I’ve spent long enough on this topic for my day off, so I’m gonna return to my family now. Be encouraged and enjoy the rest of this Memorial Day!

Matt Fowler
Assoc. Pastor of Missions & Students
matt@nbchurch.info
@fattmowler

No comments:

Post a Comment