Monday, February 16, 2015

How to spend a snow day

There are lots of ways to spend a snow day. For our family it will almost always include sleeping in. Today, we rested for a while and are currently working on a big breakfast/brunch/lunch (calorically speaking, it will be enough to cover all three). So if the blog has a scent of bacon, this is why. I figure it can only help readership, right. Anyway, what should we do as a family with this rare day off together? We could rest, play board games in front of the fireplace, get cozy on the couch and watch some movies, maybe go outside and build a snowman… While all of those options truly sound wonderful, I wonder if we could perhaps, also strive to be a bit more intentional and capitalize on this unique opportunity we’ve been given.

Let me tell you about my friend Todd and his family. Todd is the founder of EOTE Coffee Company in Chandler, Oklahoma. If you are familiar with EOTE (if not click here or here), then you know that Todd has a missional mindset and a heart for serving. However, before their work with EOTE, Willow Springs Boys Ranch, and Jacob’s Ladder Camps, he and his wife, Jeannie, have the primary role of being the proud and purposeful parents of their four beautiful daughters.

A while back I was privileged to read their family mission statement. It is simple but powerful. It is clear, yet equally challenging. I’ve found myself thinking of it often as I consider what this might look like for our family. When I asked Todd about how they came up with their purpose statement, he explained that his family had worked on it while being cooped-up during a previous snowstorm. He and Jeannie guided the conversation, but each of their girls contributed with valuable input. They discussed it together in such a way that all could take ownership of this mission. The family’s purpose is hanging in their home so as to always be before them.

In case the picture (above) is hard to see, here is their family mission statement:

“As a family, we want to glorify God in all we say, do, and are.
We will…
Put each other first.
Bring out the best in one another.
Make our home a refuge for our family and others.
Live simply.
Take care of our spiritual, physical, and emotional health.
Be Kingdom minded.
Be world changers.”

Todd & his girls
Now, it is my guess that their girls will remember that snow day for the rest of their lives. I especially think their project will have lasting power because the words on the corkboard have been accompanied with action. In fact, despite the ministries I mentioned above, I first noticed their family mission statement back in November just before they all packed up to spend their Thanksgiving week doing mission work in Nicaragua.

But that is their family… How about us? How about you and yours? What is it that we have all been called to do? Where has the Lord invited us to come play? How has He specifically wired our families to best minister to our neighborhoods and circles of influence? Perhaps you’ve never really thought about it much. Or maybe you have but your thoughts have never been formally articulated and shared with the rest of your crew. Perhaps today would be a good time to start such a discussion.

I’m not trying to add another item to your list of chores; I do not want to burden you with more stuff to do. My hope is that you might be encouraged as I have been. I’m praying the Vinson's example would be helpful. For me, it would seem that by putting our goals in front of us, we might be more likely to achieve them; knowing what we’ve agreed to as a family may also offer a level of mutual accountability. I’m grateful for Todd and Jeannie and the various ways they love and lead. I’m grateful for snow days and the God that ordains them. No matter how you spend your snow day, may it be blessed and aimed at making much of Him.

Matt Fowler
NBC Family Pastor of HS
@fattmowler




No comments:

Post a Comment