Thursday, March 13, 2014

Getting to know: Terry Langenberg

I was born 30 minutes drive from heaven, if you have seen the movie "Field of Dreams", in a small town called Monticello, Iowa. I was raised Catholic and attended a Catholic Elementary School. My parents divorced when I was in middle school. I moved to live with my father in Iowa City, IA when I was a sophomore in high school. There I attended a small Catholic High School. I then went on to the University of Iowa where I met my wife. We were married during my junior year. We had to daughters, Larissa and Bridgette. (At that time in life, I was not a Christian) Unfortunately, I chose the worldly path of selfishness and very sadly, we ended up divorcing by the time I was 25. Over the next three years, I continued down the path of selfishness. I finally hit a point where I began to see how sinful I had become and that I needed and wanted forgiveness for all I had done. I started to pray for that forgiveness. I even began to attend a Catholic church again for the first time in over three years, but something was missing. I would attend mass every Sunday, but shortly after, I would forget the priests message before I got to my car. I kept asking God, "what am I missing? I want to know you."

I found what I was missing when a friend invited me to a Baptist church service on a Sunday night. The Pastor's message opened my eyes to the true application of God's Word to my life. My prayer had been answered. I could finally see what Jesus had done for me. I needed and wanted His forgiveness. I needed and wanted Him to redeem and restore my life. I became born again that night at age 28. I understand first hand what true life transformation through Jesus Christ is all about.You can verify it with my mother and father, any of my family members or friends who knew me before and after my salvation experience.

I have over 20 years of experience working in the corporate world for two Fortune 500 companies in the grocery and electronics industries. I have owned my own marketing business for over fourteen years, called The Langenberg Group. My wife and I continue to run that business today. I got re-married in 2003 to my wife Monica. Monica had two boys from a previous marriage, Karis and Kenny. I have been extremely blessed to be a born again Christian father to my two daughters and stepdad for my step sons, Karis and Kenny. Our oldest daughter Larissa is now 28 and married to Brian. I now have a grandson Urijah who will be two in May. My daughter Bridgette is now 26 and both daughters live in Iowa. Karis is 20 and attends Oklahoma State University majoring in Aerospace Engineering. Kenny is 16 and lives with his father in Shawnee and attends Meeker High School where his dad teaches and coaches varsity baseball, which Kenny plays shortstop and pitcher on the team as a sophomore.

Our family began attending New Beginnings Baptist Church in Bixby, in 2005. We became members after only a couple of months. In April of 2007, I was asked by Pastor Phil to consider taking the position of Church Business Administrator. At that time, my wife Monica and I were perfectly fine running our marketing company working from our home. However, I had been seriously searching and asking God for direction and purpose in my life. I thought something was missing. I had been meeting with a mentor for over a year working to that end. So, when this call came from my Pastor, after much thought, prayer and discussions with many, I felt "called" to accept the position. I can say to this day, I have never regretted or looked back since. My role has changed from one of administration and operations to becoming more involved as a shepherd and coach for the staff and a shepherd for the church body. I am very passionate about serving our church body. I feel very fortunate that God has used me to disciple men. I am also very passionate about coaching and leading our staff in a culturally-healthy, team-oriented environment, that allows them to soar in the capabilities and gifts that God has given them.

I was ordained as a Pastor at New Beginnings in Oct of 2008. I know full well that this ordination was not considered or taken lightly by myself or the leadership at New Beginnings. I'm sure there are those who fall on both sides of this issue of having a divorced pastor on staff. I also know first hand, that my life has been a picture of reconciliation and redemption. My marriage to Monica is also a picture of the same. I am SO thankful and humbled to be able to serve as a Pastor in a church that believes in the grace, reconciliation and redemption for ALL who would humble themselves and turn from their sinful ways and accept Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior.

Monica and I fully understand why God hates divorce.If you have lived it, you know first hand the pain and destruction it causes for a family. We know first hand why Family Ministry at New Beginnings is so important for the culture to hear about.Monica and I have a heart for those who have blown it and have been divorced. We have a heart for single moms and dads, because we have lived that life at one time. We have a heart for re-marrieds and the complexity that results from blending families. We have a heart for step moms and step dads. We have a heart for the children who have gone through the divorce of their parents and we have a heart for those children who now have step moms and/or step dads because we have lived that too.We also know first hand how God can redeem all of it.


Thank you Lord Jesus for your call to ministry and thank you New Beginnings for allowing me to serve as your Pastor of Business Administration.


No comments:

Post a Comment