Monday, March 4, 2013

So who do you listen to?


We’ve all seen the scenario before. You know the one where the troubled character is trying to determine what to do. Well aware of wisdom’s path, he’s lured toward something that seems more enjoyable. Weighing the options between the good thing and the perceived as better thing, the indecisive guy receives counsel from a pitchfork packin' mini-devil on one shoulder and a tiny, angelic personality on his "right”.  There is a decision to be made with right or wrong hanging in the balance - to trust the good conscience of the halo or to pursue the deliciously destructive appetite of rebellious self? Good or bad? Popularity or obedience? Little Lucifer typically gets his way and convinces the guy to do what feels best, only for him to later be filled with regret. "Oh, if I had only listened to truth..."


Such Hollywood depictions are usually frustrating because the right choice seems so evident and clear to the viewer. I mean, I watch and just want to yell at the TV, "Dude, did you not hear your parents?!" "Did you not see what just happened?" "This is a bad idea!" The very fact that Joe Diablo is ever even listened to at all just baffles me! Isn't there an unwritten rule to not take advice from short red people with horns and a cape? I digress…but seriously; I do wish it were that simple. Right or wrong, noble or common. If those were the options, I think we could all choose wisely. But then there are motives that tend to mess things up.

Maybe it's just me but the conflicting advice I receive typically comes from two different shoulder-sized characters. There is young shepherd boy me; the me I desire to be - the Matt that is bold, faithful, and willing to take on any modern-day Goliath, certain that the Lord will bring victory. It is the me that like David, is a "man after God's own heart" (Acts 13:22), fully satisfied in the sufficiency and supremacy of Christ in all things... And then there is Pharisee me. Dressed in religious robes, seemingly all together, aware of God's commands, familiar with the appearance of holiness, but reliant upon my own goodness.


See, my battle is not so black and white. It involves my heart's intentions. Am I trusting in Christ’s righteousness or my own? The question I often ask is not whether I should be doing something, but rather, why am I doing this? Am I involved to appear to be good and righteous? Again? Or am I loving and serving because my heart is overflowing with gratitude? Pharisee Matt shows me how impressive I seem when compared to others and reminds me of what I should do to look holy, while the other voice tells me to check my heart. The me I want to be knows that the standard is Christ and that my call is to pursue and chase hard after Him and His righteousness.

I wish it was as simple as an angel or a devil and that the outcome was as trivial as the cartoons and movies that use such imagery. Unfortunately it's not. Perhaps that's why we are constantly called to evaluate our intentions (Matthew 6:1-6,16-18) and to be diligent in our faith (2 Peter 1:5-11). So, why do we do what we do? Which voice are you most compelled by? Our answers to these questions will say much about our understanding of grace and the gospel of Christ.

With our children, our spouse, and co-workers closely observing this faith we profess (1 Peter 3:15), I think we'd do well to stop and ask ourselves “why” a little more often. However, obedience to be seen by others cannot be our focus. Our lives are lived unto God and the mark of perfection we seek is Christ, not us (1 Corinthians 11:1, Philippians 3:17), not other parents, not other spouses, not other families. My prayer is that the Lord would develop a deep devotion in our soul to passionately press after Him…and He would do this for us, for our families, our friends, and most importantly for His glory!


So which two are in your ear? Angel & devil? Pharisee & David? Some other duo? 

No comments:

Post a Comment