Friday, March 22, 2013

Don't make me want to choke you!

Carol and I have been back from seeing our daughters in California for about one week. When people know we’ve been gone they usually ask, “How was your trip?” I have been answering, ”It was really good but very tiring running around with the 20-something crowd.”

Then sometimes I conclude my answer with a flash of transparency. I say, “It always hard to come back because they always choose to stay there.” That constant ache will only increase exponentially when our son or daughters have children. The prospect of my grandchildren living 1,441 miles away causes moist eyes as I type this.



Some have asked me, “How can you live with you daughters so far away?” I have three responses:
  1. The typical response is, “It is hard.”
  2. A far less likely response is, “If you ask me that again I may choke you!”
  3. The preferred spiritual response is, “I raised my kids to be strong, confident, disciples on mission for God. They are missionaries to California!
If I were to be honest I must admit that I regularly wrestle between all three responses. Thankfully, I haven’t choked anyone yet but I’m afraid the time is coming.


In the book, Spiritual Parenting, Michelle Anthony says, “If we want faith to endure for all generations, we must become increasingly confident and focused about the kind of faith we are trying to pass to our children.” Also in the book parents are led to discover what it means to seek God as their primary audience. Michelle Anthony says, “Spiritual Parenting isn’t perfect parenting - it’s parenting from a spiritual perspective with eternity in mind. This means putting God at the center of the family.”(Spiritual Parenting, page 27)

Psalm 78:1-8 has been called the blueprint for families who understand that God has called them to be the primary disciple- makers for their children. The Psalm explains that it is God’s desire for each family to pass on their faith to the next generation. God set up the infrastructure that He envisioned would be best for this replication – the family! (Spiritual Parenting, page 30)
Psalm 78:1-8 My people, hear my instruction; listen to what I say. 2 I will declare wise sayings; I will speak mysteries from the past— 3 things we have heard and known and that our fathers have passed down to us. 4 We must not hide them from their children, but must tell a future generation the praises of the Lord, 
His might, and the wonderful works He has performed. 5 He established a testimony in Jacob and set up a law in Israel, which He commanded our fathers to teach to their children 6 so that a future generation— children yet to be born—might know. They were to rise and tell their children 7 so that they might put their confidence in God and not forget God’s works, but keep His commands. 8 Then they would not be like their fathers,
 a stubborn and rebellious generation, a generation whose heart was not loyal and whose spirit was not faithful to God.
Isn’t it exciting to dream that one day your great-great grandchildren will gather to recount how their ancestors were God- fearing and faithful examples of Jesus’ devoted disciples. Imagine how they will describe how you, your children, your grandchildren, and their children had faith that has impacted the world.

I know these things about my adult kids.
  • I know God will use them to do incredible things if the don’t forget to put their confidence in God.
  • I know that there is a significant need for godly leadership and influence on the west coast.
  • I know I will always miss not being with them (Even if they are just on the other side of town).
  • I know I will love my grandchildren too.
  • I know that if Carol and I influenced our kids faith and passed our faith on to our kids – and our kids influence their kids faith and pass that faith on to our grandkids - and our grandkids influence their kids faith and pass that faith on to our great grandkids –etc. for “future generations,” then we will praise God together for eternity!
This, however could all be interrupted if I slip up and choke someone! ☺

3 comments:

  1. Love the transparency! Also the Michelle Anthony quote - “Spiritual Parenting isn’t perfect parenting - it’s parenting from a spiritual perspective with eternity in mind. This means putting God at the center of the family.”

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would love to share this blog, and some of the others, on my Facebook page! Maybe I'm not tech savvy enough! Thank you, Phil, Terry, and all, for your dedication, leadership, and faith!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hallelujah! Just figured out how to post on FB!

    ReplyDelete