Friday, April 24, 2015

The #1 Lesson I Learned from Maui!

As some of you have heard, I was recently blessed to be able to join my daughters on a trip to Maui. It was the trip of a lifetime. I never thought I would be able to afford a trip like this and I was also a little embarrassed to be able to do something so extravagant. But, we found an inexpensive retreat location for pastors that made this trip within our reach. So we saved our money and made the trip. Because our daughters already live in California, they were able to afford to join us.
There was one very important lesson that I learned that I wanted to pass along to you. I think if you believe what I am going to tell you, it could change your outlook in a very positive way. I want to share with my favorite thing about my trip to Maui and my biggest regret about Maui.
First, let me describe my favorite thing about my trip. It wasn't the sunny and sandy beaches (they are remarkable). It wasn’t the snorkeling (we saw hundreds of magnificent saltwater fish of every color you can imagine, and even came face to face with a sea turtle as big as me). It wasn't the stunning tropical plant life (I saw trees, flowers, and vines that I had never seen or imagined before). It wasn’t the meals on the beach (we had an amazing Luau, and most meal out, right on the beach, or at least with an ocean view). It wasn’t the birds that greeted us every morning (song birds of every color came alive each morning with music at sunrise). There are plenty of other wonderful things in Maui that were not my favorite thing either.
My favorite thing about Maui was spending time with my family. I love listening to the stories and the laughter of my family. I cherish being able to love and receive their love face to face. I was able to hold, and walk, and make my grand-daughter smile every day! This was the #1 thing that made this trip so incredible.
You see, my wife and I are empty nesters. That means we experience many benefits for not having kids at home (the house stays cleaner, quieter, more peaceful, and the money doesn't fly out of our pockets as fast as it did when our kids lived upstairs). There is more money for trips to Maui. While being an empty-nester may sound like heaven to families that are hip deep in diapers and debt, there is a serious down side. You miss your family every minute of everyday.

Secondly, let me describe my greatest regret about Maui. It wasn’t the cost. It wasn’t the long flight. It wasn’t the sunburn. It wasn’t any of the things that makes travel exhausting (jet lag, airport security, flight delays, long lines, etc.). It wasn't that we had to stay in cheap housing for pastors. My greatest regret about Maui was that my son, Josh, wasn’t able to be with us. He was on tour and couldn’t afford to take time away. Josh brings an entirely different type of fun and energy to the family. He would have loved listening to the stories and the laughter too. He would have told his own stories and made us laugh even more. He would also treasure holding and making C.C. smile. Josh would also relish being able to love and receive the love of his family face to face. Carol and I, both of his sisters and their husbands, and especially C.C. would have loved for Josh to be with us.
What is the take away? Here it is.
  • The best things in life are not always what you expect.
  • Family time, done right, is more gratifying than just about anything else.
  • The journey is just as important as the destination.
  • Enjoy your family.
  • Wear sun block.
God Bless and Mahalo!
Dr. Phil Sallee, Pastor
twitter.com/philsallee
facebook.com/phil.sallee
philsallee.info
nbchurch.info
nbfamilies.info

No comments:

Post a Comment