Thursday, April 30, 2015

How will you react?

I've always wondered how I would react in a "fight or flight" situation. What would I do in a really tense or scary situation? Fight Or Flight?  I didn't really want to find out that badly, but I did. I found out this morning about 2AM. 

We are currently renting a duplex in an interesting area of town. Let's just say the crime rate is higher in this area, than in some other areas of town. My wife and I awoke this morning to what sounded like someone trying to break in through the front door. We both sat up in bed. We heard the noise again and without thinking, I sprung out of bed and yelled at the top of my voice "Hey!!" to make sure they knew there was someone in the house and that I was coming to them. I kept yelling and yelling.  I also grabbed my cell phone when I got out of bed as well....so I had it right there to dial 911 if I needed. I also yelled for our 75lb dog to "get em!!".

Well, either I scared them away, or there wasn't anyone out there in the first place. I'm not totally sure. Regardless, I didn't get much sleep after that as you can imagine. I stayed awake for another 3 hours before I could fall back to sleep. I guess I know now, that in that circumstance, I was ready "fight" to protect my wife and our house, even standing there in my underwear, armed with a cell phone and our trusty dog, yelling like a crazy man. It was like a reflex or something. I didn't have time to think about it much. I guess I thought fast enough to have my cell ready for dialing 911, but I didn't have a weapon, other than my "scary, yelling voice". And I am very thankful they got scared and left.

My questions to myself and to you are: Am I showing that same kind of response against Satan, when he is scratching at the front door of my house, trying to get to me and my family? Am I springing out of bed, taking whatever steps necessary to send him away? 

Unfortunately, Satan is at our doors waiting to attack us. He is here to steal, kill and destroy. "The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy;" John 10:10

Fortunately, we have a protector, a shepherd, who is willing to lay down His life for us. His name is Jesus: 11 “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep." John 10:11

We can "spring into action" by going to straight Jesus. Ask for Him to protect us from Satan's attacks. Ask for strength not to fall into temptation. Place our faith, hope and trust in Him. This should be our Christian "reflex". We know that He is our Good Shepherd. We can turn to Him in times of fear, crisis and attacks.



No comments:

Post a Comment