Monday, April 13, 2015

Feeling Small


Mightier than the thunders of many waters, mightier than the waves of the sea,
the Lord on high is mighty. Psalm 93:4

I like feeling small. Not small like when I’m standing next to Mike in ITK, but small in the sense of seeing life through the lens of proper perspective. Being reminded of the tiny blip that I am in the grand scheme of things is good for my soul. Allow me to try and explain.

Mike Krebs - NBC Family Pastor of MS (left)
Last month while in Charleston for a conference with some of our pastoral staff, we took advantage of our close proximity to the beach. After dinner on our last night in town, we took a short trip over to Sullivan’s Island. We arrived after sunset; in fact, we just barely caught the last few moments of dusk. Nevertheless, the sky gave enough glow for us to see the mighty Atlantic.

It was low tide, so the waves were a good football field away from the beach. If the beach could talk, I'm sure she would've said: “Gosh guys, I wish you woulda told me you were coming over!” Yet even in the darkening hour of low tide, the scene was nothing less than awesome. Though I had been to the ocean before, it had been a while. I honestly had forgotten its power, its enormity, and its beauty.

Our time in South Carolina was brief, yet busy. I had stayed up late the night before talking with the fellas. We had been in meetings all day long. There was every reason for me to feel exhausted, and prior to hitting the sand, that’s exactly how I felt. However, upon seeing the ocean, hearing the crashing of its waves, I found my strength renewed.

Despite being 34 and probably expected by my colleagues to act more “adult-like” and all, I couldn’t resist. Once we got to the sand, my natural response was to run. I immediately lost my shoes, rolled my pant legs up, and took off on a sprint for the water (which by the way, is very cold in March). With the cold, wet sand between my toes, the ocean at my face, and the open heavens above, I became as joyful and giddy as a child. The breathtaking waters demanded it.

No one sees the ocean and scoffs. Not even Mike can gaze upon the massive body of water and feel big. Folks, I could have stayed there all night. I could have soaked up the sounds until the tide returned home. And in case you’re not yet picking up what I’m jiving at, this is a picture of how it is with the Lord. He reveals the beauty of Himself and we are awestruck. One taste of His irresistible grace and we’re never the same. One glimpse of Him and our souls are stirred; our strength is renewed; and our finite minds are forever captivated by the majesty of His infinite power!

That’s why I say it’s good to feel small. I should feel small because that’s exactly what I am – small, powerless, needy, undeserving of God’s grace and mercy. Friend, we must befittingly sense our frailty so that we might rejoice as the psalmist. For as David considered God’s wonders, as he observed the incredible works of the Almighty, overwhelmed by such goodness, David rightly wondered in awe, “What is man that you are mindful of him, and the son of man that you care for him (Psalm 8:4)?”

Matt Fowler
Associate Pastor of Students & Mission Outreach
matt@nbchurch.info
@fattmowler

No comments:

Post a Comment