Thursday, April 9, 2015

Keep Your Virus Protection Updated

My PC got infected with with a virus this week. I got attacked because I forgot to update my virus protection software. I can give you all of the excuses as to why that happened: got too busy, never acted when I kept getting those warning pop ups telling me to "renew your subscription", you have 60 days before it expires, 30 days before it expires, 14 days before it expires, yadda, yadda, yadda and guess what? It expired. I didn't take action when I should have and now my PC is at the shop getting cleaned up because SATAN attacked ME!! And just like Adam in the garden, I have all kinds of excuses as to why it's not my fault. And guess what? Just like Adam, it is MY fault.

I put my PC at risk because I got too busy and didn't take the proper steps to protect it from attack.

This could be an example of our Christian walk. If we have been saved by Jesus Christ, we have a protector. His name is Jesus. He gives us  tools to use that help to protect us, just like anti-virus software. 

He gave us the Word. He gave us Himself, our relationship with Him, to converse with Him in prayer. He gave us the Holy Spirit to help guide us and counsel us. He gave us Christian brothers and sisters in Christ, some who teach us and guide us and others who encourage us and inspire us to stay on course, to "listen" to the warning signs, to take action and stay protected. 

Here is an example of Jesus warning His disciples:

40 Then he returned to his disciples and found them sleeping. “Couldn’t you men keep watch with me for one hour?” he asked Peter. 41 “Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.” Matthew 26:40-41

Jesus told them to "watch and pray, so that you will not fall into temptation." There is your "pop up window". There is your warning sign. 


Here is another one:

"No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it." 1 Corinthians 10:13

Another "Pop up window", another warning sign. Jesus provides you a way out. But now it's on YOU! Are you going to take "the way out, so that you can endure it"? Or are you going to "fall asleep"? Or just like me, are you too busy to listen to the warning signs and take action. "The flesh is weak, isn't it?

 "I don't really need virus protection." "That won't ever happen to me." "I will get around to it someday." 

After awhile, the warning signs stopped. I was left unprotected. I failed to listen and to take action. I was attacked and SATAN was successful. The flesh is weak. Not only did this failure on my part affect me and my PC, it may have also affected others and that is even more disturbing. My inaction may have caused others pain and suffering.

I'm learning from this PC virus experience. I'm hoping the results of my lack of taking action won't cause me or anyone else any more pain and suffering than it already has. I've been praying that it won't. Oh sure, NOW you start to pray about it. Sad, isn't it? We go running back to our protector and ask Him to help us and forgive us from our mistakes, only when we start suffering from them. That is the beauty and the power of the Cross. We can and He will.

Thank you Jesus, for dying for my sins and for the mercy and grace that you have given me, when I "fall asleep" and don't take action. Help me to stay protected. Help me to take action constantly to stay near you, so I won't allow SATAN to hurt me that would cause others pain as well. In Jesus name I pray. Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment