Monday, June 24, 2013

"Remember who you are..."


It was the most poignant moment of the production… After living in self-imposed exile for years and having forgotten his identity as the king’s son and rightful heir to the throne, Simba finally heard the sobering words of his father. “You have forgotten who you are and so have forgotten me!” Mufasa’s voice slowly faded away as he repeated this line to his son, “Remember who you are…”
Look, I’ve seen The Lion King plenty of times over the years. On more occasions than I can even count, the kids have watched the movie in the van as we’ve traveled. I’ve heard all the lines and have come to appreciate it as a solid animated film. So months ago when my wife came up with the brilliant idea to take our family to see the musical presentation of this Disney classic, I assumed I would enjoy it but honestly felt it was just for the kiddos. No shocker here but as it turns out, I was wrong.
I found myself quite moved by Broadway’s rendition of the story! However, it was not because of the elaborate sets or the live orchestra or even the intricate costume designs. All of that was very impressive, but what stirred me was the incredible message from part of the the final act. In one of the pivotal scenes, Simba was feeling alone and as if he had been lied to. Things were not like he had expected. Enter the grand vizier mandrill, Rafiki…
Rafiki is the one that brought Simba back to the truth of his identity. As the young lion stared at his reflection in the puddle, the words of his father returned to him. The following lyrics are from a reprise that’s not in the cartoon. As you read them, please consider the spiritual implications for those who believe in Christ…
“He lives in you, He lives in me,
He watches over, everything we see,
Into the water, into the truth,
In your reflection, He lives in you!”
Maybe it’s just me but I find myself in need of this reminder daily. To know that I belong to the King of Kings, and His love for me defines my worth – not my circumstances, my feelings, or accomplishments. He calls me son and indeed, He lives in me! In addition, His word states that I am called to reflect Him to others. The certainty of this view is empowering and inspiring in ways that cannot be accurately described in words.
But what I found equally compelling is that someone else was needed to guide Simba back to this truth. Oh how greatly we all desire such encouragement! Our children are desperate for it. Our spouse requires it, and our friends are longing for such affirmation. With that in mind, who is it that points you back to truth when this world has convinced you to quit? Just how well are you reflecting the King? And are you a Rafiki to anyone?
Finally, the scene reminded me that it’s sometimes good to look on a story in a new light – to think about it with a fresh perspective. May we gaze at the beautiful work of the cross in a way that causes us to marvel in the fullness of what Christ has done on our behalf. For the message of the gospel continually speaks to His beloved. May it never grow old and become impersonal but revive us each day. My prayer is that we might encourage one another to remember who we are in Christ and be moved to reflect Him well.

No comments:

Post a Comment