Monday, June 29, 2015

Withhold no good thing...

No good thing does He withhold from those who walk uprightly.” Psalm 84:11b

After breakfast tomorrow I will have completed my first reading of Charles Spurgeon’s devotional classic, Morning and Evening. My wife gifted me with it last June 30th and I’ve been enjoying it ever since. It wasn’t a late Father’s Day gift, nor was it an early anniversary or Christmas gift, but a super-early (3 months early to be exact) birthday present.

Now, why would Brittany do that? Was it because she had failed to gift well on Father’s Day? No, not at all. In fact, I had just received a brand new propane grill a week or so earlier for Father’s Day – an extravagant gift to say the least. Had I been especially sweet, proving myself deserving of such blessing? Not exactly. I’m afraid that question will never be answered in the affirmative. No, she simply knew that I would love it. My wife was confident that I would benefit from its pages. Brittany concluded that if it would help me look to Christ, thus stirring my affections for more of Him, then giving me the book early was the only real option.

As you might imagine, my hope is to talk about more than birthday presents. I’m curious why we withhold good from one another. Sure, most of us are completely unaware that we do, but nevertheless it happens. What do I mean? Well, for starters we often withhold ourselves. We have gifts and talents, stories of God’s providence in our lives. We have learned through successes and failures; we’ve trod down difficult paths alone and afraid. We could offer hope to someone in a similar situation. But for whatever reason, we are kept away from others for some other time. Perhaps we just don’t realize our value.

But surely we see that we’re blessed in the way of resources, right? We have financial means, technological capability, and opportunities to pursue higher education like no other time in history. We have enough capital to fill our every weekend doing “stuff.” We pay for our hobbies and recreational vices, but how often do we spend our “hard-earned money” on someone outside of our family? Sure, we’re invested in our local body, but we don’t support the shared mission financially. That would be just fine, but when there is no evidence of our time, money, energy, or giftedness being spent sacrificially, then it is safe to say that some good has been withheld. There are areas where more servant leaders would enrich ministry; there are churches waiting to be planted, missionaries praying for support, unreached people desperate for the liberating word of the gospel. But then again, maybe we just don’t see the need.

You know what your lost neighbor has in common with the tribal heathen on the other side of the planet? A need for the gospel! That need is the one thing that we as believers share with them as well – the good news of Jesus Christ – His life, death, and resurrection. We all need the gospel and the healing, transformational power therein. Yet, we’ve not only given up on preaching it to ourselves, it seems we dare not share the gospel’s freedom with others either. Why? Is it possible that we’ve forgotten the great depths from which we were saved, for which we now stand, and to the promised hope we have ahead of us? Evangelism is only as valuable as the discipleship that accompanies it. The moment we begin to toil for toys and trinkets instead of the treasure hidden in the field, we lose our zeal for the neighbor as well as the nations. Surely, when such good is withheld it can only be that we’ve forgotten God’s grace, His mercies that are new each morning, and the joy that life in Him brings.

But it is possible that we withhold these good things because we are scared. We’re afraid of running out – of money, of energy, of zeal. We think, “How long can I do this?” And at some level this is a healthy consideration; dear friend, do count the cost! Yet as we take inventory, may we remember the source of the good that we have to offer. For which of us while in the womb, asked God for something? “Father, knit my mind together so that I may be a learned man and excel in business.” “Lord, take my unformed substance and make me winsome and compassionate.” “Jesus, plant me in an affluent community, where our pooled-together resources can push back darkness around the globe.” “Holy Spirit, allow me to process the events of my life to see Your faithfulness through all the trials of my travels.” No one has! Yet, God has created us in just these types of ways. He has given grace in spite of our faithlessness that we might trust Him to provide for us and sustain us as we look to reflect the light of His glory and grace.

He withholds nothing from His children…except for the wrath that we each deserve for our sin. He is not only merciful, but He lavishes His grace upon us, giving us what we could never earn, supplying us with more than we could ever desire. He is good and does good. Perhaps there is fear that we’ll become frail and faint in such giving work. Ah, but may we remember that our help is fully supplied by the One that never grows tired or weak or weary. Nothing has been withheld from His saints, therefore, might the abundance of our blessing not terminate on us.


Matt Fowler
Associate Pastor of Missions & Students
matt@nbchurch.info
@fattmowler

No comments:

Post a Comment