Monday, June 1, 2015

Walking in Light

“But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin.” 1st John 1:7

It is hard to fathom why we would settle for anything less than life lived in the light, for in it’s midst, real fellowship is found – both with God and one another. However, this is often our unfortunate reality. Closeness in community and our Creator suffers each time we wander from the path of righteousness. Though it doesn’t make much sense for us to pass on blessings of eternal joy for a less gratifying temporal fix, I understand why we do. Actually, it is quite simple: Light often reveals far more than we care to see.

A couple of months ago I made last-minute plans to attend a conference in Memphis. Because I booked the trip so late and because I wanted to make my journey happen as cheaply as possible, I ended up spending the night in a rather sketchy motel. The place I stayed was in a good location, as it was in close proximity to both the conference and some quality barbecue joints. It had a few nice extra amenities, like a television and a mini-fridge. At first glance I thought I got a pretty sweet deal, especially for the low price I had paid, but then I had the regrettable opportunity of investigating things a bit more closely.

I had some studying to do and noticed that there was a light switch next to the headboard of the bed. “Cool, this will provide an excellent source of light for my studying.” Well, I was right. As I flipped the switch on, the area below was immediately illuminated. And it was at that point that I became aware of the actual condition of my bedroom. Beneath the reading / tanning bed strength light above me, for the first time, I noticed that my pillow cases were a rather dingy white; I realized that there were long dark hairs left on the sheets that I had been resting on; in fact, under this baby sun of a light it appeared that my bed sheets had probably not been changed in at least a few stays.

Such disgusting observations caused a couple of things. For starters, I began itching all over, not because there were actual bedbugs, but because it appeared that I had been sitting on some prime real estate for them or any of their La Cucaraha crawling compadres. Secondly, I turned the light off, for I did not want to see the truth of where I was. In that moment I understood the saying I have heard throughout my life: “Ignorance is bliss.” By shutting off the light, I could pretend that things were not that bad.

And spiritually speaking, this is the same problem we have with light. Although that is where real life is found, although there is forgiveness and newness and deeper joy to be discovered, it comes packaged in truth. We cannot enjoy the fullness of walking in the light without acknowledging our own dark within. We will not be able to bask in the beauty of what will be, until we deal with the desperation of our present state. For though we can step away from the light and pretend that all is fine in our lives, the truth is inescapable – we are sinners in need of grace and mercy, dependent upon the One who is faithful and just (1 John 1:9). In fact, when we fail to deal with the reality of our helpless condition, we only lie to ourselves (1 John 1:8).


Light can be uncomfortable. And though following our Savior’s path can be difficult to navigate, it is where we are called to be and precisely why we are instructed to walk this narrow road together. For by living in the light, we reflect Christ’s perfection; here is where we grow in truth; here is where we find wholeness as His Spirit transforms us in holiness. As we walk in the light, we glorify the Light and find the joy He offers – the joy of being known, accepted, cleansed, and called by Him who has no darkness whatsoever (1 John 1:5). Dear friend, might we pursue such rich fellowship by walking in the Light, loving God and each other more deeply along the way.

Matt Fowler
Associate Pastor of Missions & Students
matt@nbchurch.info
@fattmowler

No comments:

Post a Comment