Friday, June 12, 2015

My Heart is Pounding!

Grams and Pops with Corinne Eleanor Lewolt
The plan was simple. I was going to preach on Sunday (June 7th) and fly out on Monday (June 8th). Carol had flown to California to become a Grandmother of our 2nd granddaughter 3 days ealier.

But when I woke up on Saturday the plans changed quickly. My heart began to pound. I had a text from Carol the night before at 10:30pm saying, “Brian (our son-in-law) just took Jill to the hospital. It looks like we will have another grandbaby tomorrow.” I immediately changed my ticket to fly to California to be with my daughter, son-in-law and thier new baby.

Why would we take such drastic measures to be there for the birth of a grandbaby? What is the big deal? Why would I miss preaching on Sunday when I could have just flown in when I had planned? Carol and I believe that being a grandparent is a big deal. As grandparents, we want to continue to make a significantly beneficial influence on our family. The love we feel for our grandchildren is linked to the concept of legacy. We want to leave a heritage of faith for our family. We both hope to tell our kids and their of God’s mighty power and strength.

Psalm 71:14-18 But I will hope continually and will praise You more and more. 15 My mouth will tell about Your righteousness and Your salvation all day long, though I cannot sum them up. 16 I come because of the mighty acts of the Lord God; I will proclaim Your righteousness, Yours alone. 17 God, You have taught me from my youth, and I still proclaim Your wonderful works. 18 Even when I am old and gray, God, do not abandon me. Then I will proclaim Your power to another generation, Your strength to all who are to come.
Day 1 in the Hospital 
God’s Word has promised a renewed strength for people, especially grandparents, for those who trust Him. I must admit that I have had a newfound strength – cleaning the house, preparing the meal, changing the diapers, pushing the swing, climbing the playground, rocking the baby – this week. Could my love for my kids and their babies be the reason that I am too tired to get out of my “Lazyboy" recliner, yet never too tired to crawl on the floor for an imaginary tea party? Is it this same love that motivates me to finish strong in my faith and not slide into a moral compromise?
Isaiah 40:28-31 Do you not know? Have you not heard? Yahweh is the everlasting God, the Creator of the whole earth. He never grows faint or weary; there is no limit to His understanding. 29 He gives strength to the weary and strengthens the powerless. 30 Youths may faint and grow weary, and young men stumble and fall, 31 but those who trust in the Lord will renew their strength; they will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary; they will walk and not faint.
Jill and Corinne ready to go home
Since Corinne was born I have taken every opportunity to pray over her, to sing to her (while rocking her), to talk to her about how much God loves her.

I must admit, I have been increasingly concerned about my kids raising my grandchildren in a culture where Christian values are being ridiculed. As a grandparent I have been around long enough to see our environment skid into shocking and discouraging lows. Our grown children are going to need our faith to not only remain strong, but also to thrive and lead in influential ways. They will need our prayers, our encouragement, our compassion, and our Christ-like love. We grandparents are going to have to learn Jesus’ method for earning other’s love and respect. But we will also need to learn to avoid repelling our kids by displaying the hypocritical sneer of the Pharisee. They will rightly ignore our scorn and our criticism.

Psalm 78:2-4 I will declare wise sayings; I will speak mysteries from the past— 3 things we have heard and known and that our fathers have passed down to us. 4 We must not hide them from their children, but must tell a future generation the praises of the Lord, His might, and the wonderful works He has performed.
Don't forget CC.
May the Lord empower us to influence our families for Him.

May we proclaim the Lord God’s mighty acts, His righteousness, and His wonderful works.

May we trust the Lord and experience renewed strength and soar on wings like eagles.

May we tell a future generation the praises of the Lord, His might, and the wonderful works He has performed! God Bless!

Dr. Phil Sallee, Pastor
twitter.com/philsallee
facebook.com/phil.sallee
philsallee.info
nbchurch.info
nbfamilies.info

No comments:

Post a Comment