Friday, June 19, 2015

Father's Day Challenge for Fathers

I have been hip deep in grand-fatherhood these past two weeks (cleaning, cooking, playing, reading, rocking, diapering, singing, etc.). As I write this blog I am baby-sitting my granddaughter C.C. – sitting in the car by the ocean, while she finishes her nap. I have never missed 3 Sunday's in a row from my calling as a preacher of the gospel. But I must admit,
  1. I have never had a more important reason to be away.
  2. I have never had more confidence in a staff when I am absent
If the truth were to be told, if I neglected my biblical mandate to be the spiritual leader of my family, then I would simultaneously rescind my calling to be the spiritual leader of the church. Because this Sunday is Father's Day and I have spent some time wrestling with questions every father and grand-father should answer.
Deuteronomy 6:4-9 Listen, Israel: Yahweh is our God; Yahweh is One. 5 Love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your strength. 6 These words that I am giving you today are to be in your heart. 7 Repeat them to your children. Talk about them when you sit in your house and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. 8 Bind them as a sign on your hand and let them be a symbol on your forehead. 9 Write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.
  • What does it mean the have a command of God on your heart?
  • Why are the commands given to fathers in Deuteronomy 6:7-9 given immediately after the most important command in Deuteronomy 6:4-6?
  • Is this the best method for preparing children to be godly people as adults?
  • Are our children learning what is important to their fathers by observing their behavior at home?
  • What values and behaviors are our children learning by observing passive or ungodly fathers?
The emphasis on the father being the spiritual leader of the family is not just an Old Testament concept. The New Testament affirms this privilege and responsibility as well:
Ephesians 6:1-4 Children, obey your parents as [you would] the Lord, because this is right. 2 Honor your father and mother, which is the first commandment with a promise, 3 so that it may go well with you and that you may have a long life in the land. 4 Fathers, don't stir up anger in your children, but bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord.
  • Why does Ephesians 6:1-4 follow directly after Ephesians 5:21-33?
  • Could it be that fathers most significantly influence their children's faith by the way they love their children's mothers?
  • How are our kids obedience to our commands related to how much they honor us?
  • Why is this the only command in scripture that directly follows with a promise?
  • What ways do we fathers stir up anger in our children?
Father’s Day has many possibilities. However, let me warn you. The higher you set your expectations for public praise and honor from your children, the more likely you are going to be disappointed. A father’s best option for a blessed Father’s Day is to utilize it as an opportunity to reaffirm his role as spiritual leader.
  1. Choose for yourselves today the one you will worship.
  2. Repent from your passivity or selfish defiance of the past.
  3. Ask for forgiveness from the Lord God, your wife, and your family also.
  4. Make the necessary changes to assume this honorable role.
  5. Begin living in the power of the gospel as a submissive disciple of Jesus Christ!
Joshua 24:15 But if it doesn’t please you to worship Yahweh, choose for yourselves today the one you will worship: the gods your fathers worshiped beyond the Euphrates River or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you are living. As for me and my family, we will worship Yahweh.”
Happy Father’s Day! See you next week.

Dr. Phil Sallee, Pastor
twitter.com/philsallee
facebook.com/phil.sallee
philsallee.info
nbchurch.info
nbfamilies.info

No comments:

Post a Comment