Monday, April 28, 2014

Why I'm excited about Sunday...

If you’ve ever sat within earshot of me on a Sunday morning, A) I'm sorry and B) you may have trouble believing this, but I actually love music and truly enjoy singing. Because I do care for others, I typically remand my vocal talents (or lack thereof) to the shower or afternoon drive home from work. And though I’m sure the “make a joyful noise” verses in Scripture are directed at folks like me, I must say, I am often moved by music and song. Sometimes it’s an instrumental piece that extracts emotion from my soul for which words can’t describe. On other occasions it is thoughtfully penned lyrics that resonate within my heart. In either case, to fully engage in music at a deeper level, is truly refreshing and worshipful. However, as much as I love music, I must confess that I love the Gospel even more. For this reason, although I enjoy many varieties of music, I tend to gravitate toward places and musicians that combine the two. And when these two components do come together, it is special and indeed something to be shared.

On Sunday evening Jimmy Needham will be performing here at the church. He is an exceptionally gifted artist that has collaborated with the likes of Trip Lee, Lecrae, as well as the SHANES and many others. Being a church body that believes in family ministry, we love the fact that Jimmy is a family guy that adores his wife (“Unfailing Love,” “Firefly”) and their two daughters (“Daddy’s Baby Girl,” “If I Ever Needed Grace”). But above being a solid dude that is super-talented vocally, Jimmy’s strongest attribute is that he is consistently promoting something much bigger than himself. He is a Gospel guy that by God’s grace is utilizing his gifts and opportunities to point others to the hope that is found in Christ alone. Let me illustrate this good news intentionality by briefly sharing a few of my favorite lines from a handful of his songs…


Grace Amazing” (enjoy the above video) speaks of our depravity and helplessness without God. “No one can come to the Son, unless the Father compels him to come. Our hearts are bottomless, if we’re autonomous…” In a song from a few albums back “Forgiven and Loved,” Jimmy reminds us of Romans 8:1. The lyrics express one working to earn a salvation that has already been freely given. Accepting Jesus for justification without also trusting in Christ for sanctification – not hearing the precious words, “Child, you are forgiven and loved!” This is a struggle I can relate with and a truth I need reminded of daily. Praise God there is no condemnation for those who are in Christ! While the title track from Clear the Stage addresses the topics of worship and the subtleties of idolatry, “The Only One” transparently uncovers the emptiness of false idols as well. Listen to the very real tension described… “Well the news has spread, men ain’t meant for bread, but for every word, coming from Your head. But my head and heart are very different things. One tells me to run, and one tells me to cling.” I don’t know about you, but I can really connect with that last line... Consider the song “Arrows” (from the God is NOT Dead soundtrack) in which Jimmy talks about seeing Christ revealed through everything from Creation to children, to the very air we breathe. All of these things point to God and are, “pictures that echo (God’s) glory.” With this in mind, we should all long for the same prayer: “Make me Your arrow. Put me in Your bow. Pull back and let go, and send me wherever you want me to go.”

In closing, I’d also encourage you to check out some of his spoken word poetry in “Not Without Love (The Benediction)” and “Nightlights”. Each describes a very desperate need and reliance upon God’s grace and goodness. In his most recent album, Hymn Sessions – Vol. 1, Jimmy highlights the rich Gospel content of some classic hymns. As he recently shared with Desiring God, we should love hymns because “theology breeds doxology.” Jimmy Needham has described his motivation simply as this: “to whet people’s appetite for the God of the gospel.” He goes on to say, “I think the answer to all of our deepest questions can be found at the foot of the cross of Jesus.”[1] I wholeheartedly agree! Christ is the answer to our every longing - He is our hope! I pray this truth will always be our song…

matt@nbchurch.info     Twitter: @FattMowler     Facebook: TheFattMowler


Well, it is easy to see why I’m so excited for the opportunity we have to partner with Jimmy Needham for the sake of the Gospel. If you will be in the Tulsa area Sunday, we’d love for you to join us. The concert is set to begin at 6:30; doors open at 6. Tickets are available through the church office or online at the link below for only $5.







[1] Jimmyneedham.com/about/

No comments:

Post a Comment