Monday, July 8, 2013

A Foolish Exchange


About an hour north of the San Francisco Bay area is the small town of Healdsburg. For a time back in my middle school years, it seemed that it would become the new home for my mom and step-dad. John had been working at the hospital there for several months and it appeared an eventual move was inevitable.

In an attempt to soften the blow and help us feel more comfortable with this potential change, my parents brought my little brother and I out for a short vacation. I remember a lot about our trip. We enjoyed the scenic coast, climbed cliffs along the beach, and even visited Bodega Bay (location where Hitchcock filmed The Birds). However, one of my favorite parts of our visit came when we stayed at the River’s End Resort.

This lodge is perfectly positioned where the gorgeous Russian River converges with the Pacific Ocean. In the daytime you can hear sea lions barking as they bask in the warm sun just across the estuary. The breeze coming off the water is instantaneously refreshing and the sunsets there are nothing shy of picturesque.

As we laid in bed that first night I could hear the tide crashing in. It was amazing! Powerful, serene, relaxing… But then it was interrupted. My parents had grown used to sleeping with some form of white noise each night. So, overpowering the natural accompaniment of the ocean was their sound machine. And get this – the clamor was not that of a babbling brook, not a cascading waterfall, not a gentle thudding heartbeat, not that of a rolling thunderstorm, or the sounds of Serengeti birds (Okay – I may have made up that last one), but I kid you not, it was the sound of “crashing waves”!!

Our room was literally yards away from the real thing and we (and by we I mean my parents) were gonna choose the imitation sound machine?! I have given mom and John a hard time about this for years now and perhaps the pinnacle of such razzing ends today as it has made its way into this blog. But what I have since come to realize is this: if not careful, we are all in danger of making a similarly foolish exchange. However, our selections carry a much weightier loss…

In Romans 1 Paul identifies a major trap and tragedy of mankind. He points out that we are prone to worship creation rather than the Creator (Romans 1:22-23). In so doing we miss the intent of God’s gifts toward us. Instead of having our affections stirred to worship Him in gratitude, we chase after by-products of His goodness. In essence, we settle for an imitation when the real thing is at hand (Romans 1:25).

I’m not just warning of our desire for money and power, a new sea-do, or a bigger home. As many of you know, I love trekking through the mountains and I’m crazy about my family! Yet none of these earthly locations or relationships is meant to take place of the One who has blessed me with them. The splendor of His works and the richness He supplies e Hethrough family are ultimately given so that the beauty of Christ and His love for us might be seen.

While I’m extremely appreciative that I was permitted to visit such a beautiful place as California, I’m so thankful my parents weren’t led to move there. But I’m most grateful that over the years, the Lord has proven Himself to be much greater than even the very best of His creation. As we wrap-up our summer sports, take our vacations, and enjoy some extra time together with friends and family, may we help each other to look beyond the pleasure of the immediate and see the glorious wooing of the Immortal. 


No comments:

Post a Comment