Monday, June 2, 2014

Remember Middle School?


Do you remember your middle school years? Remember those awesome pre-adolescent days? Gosh, I do… And they were terrible! Back then my body was seemingly in a constant state of transformation. My voice was squeaky from late sixth grade through my first semester as a freshman in high school. Unfortunately during that time I was often mistaken for my mom when I’d answer the phone at home and I struggled with acne to boot (I strongly resembled the “before” pictures on the old Noxzema commercials). Growth spurts were never convenient either. Seemed they preferred to hit right after my parents would buy me jeans. In fact, my seventh grade girlfriend actually broke up with me because my “high-waters" embarrassed her.

Now my memories may be a slight exaggeration from the way things truly occurred, but I can promise you it felt like Gospel truth back when I had to shamefully walk those junior high halls. To be honest, I still think about singing Toby Keith’s “How Do Ya Like Me Now?!” to that mean girl that dumped me. But that’s beside the point. What I’m getting at is this: we can all agree, pre-adolescence is a tough stage of life. Puberty, hormones, awkwardness, you name it – it’s all quite difficult to navigate. How I wish I could have had someone reminding me of my real identity. How I wonder how many hurt feelings might have been avoided had I been affirmed in the truth of Scripture.

Well, our hope is that some of our middle schoolers might find such comforting truth this week at our summer retreat. Their value is not found in their jump shot, their perfect complexion, their envious possessions, but rather in the finished work of the cross. We left this morning and are currently enjoying some outdoor games and activities. Please be praying for these young people and the stamina of the numerous leaders and volunteers that sacrificed vacation days and time off work to invest in our students. We will be looking at one of the biggest BUTs in the bible. No, were not doing a Judges 3 devo on Eglon (that would have an extra "t"). We will instead be walking through Ephesians 2 and focusing on the big BUT in verse 4 – “But God…”(Ephesians 2:1-10).

God doesn’t tell us to get cleaned-up and straightened-out. He doesn’t leave us to try to figure things out on our own. Despite the old saying, He doesn’t just help those who help themselves. Praise God He gives the grace to the helpless, sight to the blind, raises the dead to life, and calls us to walk in the good works He’s prepared for us! During this challenging phase of life, might our youth be confronted with the hope of the Gospel and may they begin to take ownership of a real, genuine, trusting relationship with Christ. Many prayers appreciated this week as we seek to make much of Him…


No comments:

Post a Comment