Monday, May 26, 2014

A suggestion for this holiday...


While weekly I attempt to consider a broader audience than myself, it seems the topic of each blog tends to be aimed primarily at me. Whether I’m writing to challenge or hoping to communicate with a more encouraging tone, each time the main idea seems to hit me squarely where I am. I find that writing on Mondays often allows me to try to process through my thoughts as I work to express them to others. With that being said, please note that today is not much different.

As we were driving home late last night from a weekend (actually a week) full of several activities and memorable experiences, I realized that I was simply overwhelmed. We had so much that happened this past week. There were some big events, lots of rich conversations, many moments to be treasured, several funny things that happened, and so many opportunities for improvement that we were made aware of along the way. While I look forward to sharing some stories from this past week with you in the near future, the best thing I can do right now, the best thing my family can do is this: stop and allow for some time to process together.

It is pretty rare to have a Monday off. It is far less common for all of us to be home together on a day where we have no official plans. So with that in mind, I think we are going to rest today. We are going to attempt to relax and consider some of the special ways the Lord has recently blessed us. In addition, we will try to talk about what we've learned and then discuss how we can grow from our mistakes.

As I mentioned before, this may just be for my family and I. If so, that is fine because presently, this is what we need to do. However, perhaps some similar contemplation would be of value for you on this holiday as well. Consider the ways that the Lord is currently at work in your life… What message is He communicating to your heart? What is He leading you into? Is He calling you away from something? In this moment, do you recognize that God is near or does He somehow feel distant? Better question: Why do you think that is?

Whatever it is that you wind up doing on this day, I pray it may be restful and worshipful for you and yours. Might the presence of the Divine fill you with the peace and rest that only He can provide. As many passages come to mind this morning, I’ll close with the Lord’s reminder from the psalms…

“Be still, and know that I am God.” Psalm 46:10 (a)

Even on our days off...especially on our days off...may we think on His goodness towards us and seek to make much of Him...

matt@nbchurch.info     Twitter: @FattMowler     Facebook: TheFattMowler

No comments:

Post a Comment