Thursday, January 31, 2013

So why try when you know you are going to fail?


A couple of weeks ago my step son Kenny sent me a text to see if I could pick up some information he had forgotten at church after a Wednesday night high school group meeting. The information was a 90 day challenge to read through the New Testament (Click the image above to read more about the resource). I asked Jeff Berg for the information and he gave me an extra copy. The information provides questions and insights to go with the daily scripture reading. I thought this would be a great opportunity for Kenny and I to do both a Faith Talk and Faith Walk time as we studied together.

So when I got home I asked Kenny if he would want to study together and he seemed excited to do that. So we set a time and a schedule to begin. In order to complete the process in 90 days you have to keep up with the daily readings. Kenny lives with his dad in Shawnee. Over the next few days for various reasons we could not connect to discuss the readings. Kenny then caught the flu. We both got behind and now we still haven't been able to connect to discuss.

Should we just quit? Is it just not meant to be? This is just one of the struggles as a parent, of stepping up to lead your children in their Christian walk. We get busy, people do get sick, we get tired, but this cannot be the reason to quit. I know Kenny and I will get together and finish the New Testament, but I also know that just because we can't get together and "stay on schedule" to finish in 90 days does not mean we quit before we start. Just start, get going, don't let obstacles and excuses prevent you from beginning the journey to be a faith influencer in your children's lives.

"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." 2 Corinthians 12:9

We can do this, just get going and never quit!


3 comments:

  1. Congrats, Terry, on starting a blog. I look forward to some good reading.
    This is my second attempt to comment. My first, which, by the way, was really good, disappeared into thin air, for no reason. I had to decide if I wanted to quit, or start again. How appropriate! I had to start again, especially as my comment was all about not quitting. I hope I can remember exactly what I wrote, because even though I say this myself, it was pretty darn good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, how blessed are both you and Kenny? You for having a step son who wants to walk the spiritual walk and to share it with you. Kenny for having a step father who not only wants to spend time with him but wants to even when he doesn't live under the same roof. There are too many step fathers (and fathers) who can't be bothered, even when living in the same home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we are too easily tempted to quit. We start off with the best intentions but are easily distracted and let distractions dominate us. It's easy to get discouraged and tell ourselves it wasn't meant to be. How about looking at distractions as opportunities to learn, grow and maybe take a different path? Isn't that what God would want us to do? Maybe He is trying to teach us a lesson within a lesson?
    I am forever trying to deal with distractions. It is a major part of my work day. Along with my seemingly inability to focus, anyway. I think we all are constantly facing distractions in whatever we do. This is the test that sifts the "go-getters", the achievers, from those who stay in the same place day after day after day. Those who are to be successful, in whatever it is they are facing, are those who don't let the distractions hold them back. Failure doesn't come from falling (or tripping), it comes from not getting back up. And speed is not a factor (unless you're running the 100 yard dash, of course), tenacity is.
    No matter what we do in life, working around, over or with distractions and getting back in focus, is the key to success.
    Great piece, Terry. I'm looking forward to hearing more about your journey with Kenny in this study.

    ReplyDelete