Monday, May 16, 2016

Esau or Zion?

“But in Zion there shall be those who escape…” Obadiah v.17

After reading Obadiah, here’s the question we each must give a response. Do we take refuge in Mount Esau or Mount Zion? Now, at a surface level, this seems too easy an answer. Though an understanding of Zion develops from the OT to the NT, the biblical narrative consistently portrays Zion as a place of rest and refuge for God’s people (i.e. 2 Samuel 5:7, Psalm 2:6, 48:2, 137:3, Isaiah 46:13, Jeremiah 8:19, Hebrews 12:22, Romans 9:33, Revelation 14:1). Throughout Scripture it is shown as a symbol of God’s kingdom, His power and presence. He dwells in Zion, and one day His saints will make their dwelling on that same holy hill. Since Jesus is the cornerstone of Zion, as believers, we ought to desire nothing more than to be found there as well - in Christ, right (1 Peter 2:6, Isaiah 28:16)? On the other hand, “Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated (Romans 9:13, Malachi 1:2-3).” Without diving into each of the theological implications of this statement, we can all agree that we long for the favor of Jacob’s offspring. Just a cursory reading from Moses’ first book (Genesis 25-33) and a brief observation of the outcome for Esau’s descendants (here in Obadiah, noticing how they are sternly warned of impending judgment), and it becomes quite clear. We don’t want to make our nest in the cleft of such rock; we want to be found in Zion.

Nevertheless, I contend that despite this obvious contrast, we all tend to cling to Mount Esau much more than we might think. To make that an “I statement,” let me clarify. I unfortunately see these tendencies in me. I’ve discovered there are a couple of ways to approach this mountain. I’ve taken it on like the younger brother; yes, I’ve been atop this hill as the prodigal (see Luke 15:11-32). In those seasons I outright rebelled against my Father. I chose my ways over His, and scaled Edom’s cliffs recklessly untethered to any harness of hope. Yet, I’ve also carefully traversed the rocky terrain and climbed the face of Mount Esau like the older brother. I kept the rules, did my job (quite well I might add), and began to believe that my own self-righteousness was enough. I was morally above reproach, nobly upright before my peers, and far more careful than my days of disobedience. I wisely used the path of safety and carefully made my way to the peak. I’ve summited Esau wearing villainous black and pristine white; I’ve been there in moments completely aware of my sinfulness and other times far more certain of my good deeds.

Here’s the point of Mount Esau and why it is so darn tempting. It is something we can do. It is a height we can achieve. Whenever we place our trust in someone or something outside of Christ, we build our fort into that mountain. When we follow our flesh, we bring Edom’s judgment and doom upon our own heads (Obadiah 1:15). Yet also notice that when we place faith in our abilities - our resources - our reputation - our positional, comparative strength to others and the like, we align ourselves with the disobedience of Esau, not the God of Jacob. See, while we can climb to the heights of Edom, we cannot climb Mount Zion. In our own strength, we cannot make it up that holy hill; we cannot look upon the sights of that city; no amount of “right living” gains our entrance into His kingdom. Because of this, we are tempted to see what we can do. What we can produce, achieve, compile, etc. often feels more certain.

God’s people had been overtaken by their enemies and Edom was convicted of being a gloating onlooker, instead of a merciful neighbor (Obadiah 1:10-14). In that time it likely felt that God had forsaken His people. However, who is Obadiah written to? To Edom. What is the central message? God makes it clear that those who disregard His ways and mess with His people will be judged; they will be forced to answer for their transgressions; they will have to give an account for their pride and indifference. We may feel forgotten and begin to pack our bag for a hike up Mount Esau. But we must remember, the promise is not in Esau, but for those in Zion. “But in Zion there shall be those who escape (Obadiah 1:17)…” 


The warning of verse 15 is just as much an invitation as it is a threat. It did not have to be this way for Edom. Repentance would have changed their plight. There is no blanket judgment for all peoples and nations. Rather, the question is before each of us individually - will we be found in Esau or in Zion? Will we be found trusting in Christ or utterly lost in our rejection of Him? It may appear that God is distant and that we are slowly being overtaken by our adversary, but God is ever-present in our trouble. He provides for the needs of His children. Though based upon our own merit we could never step foot in His holy city, our entrance is now available through the atoning work of His Son on the cross. Our deeds, the best and worst of them, are worthy of death and eternal separation from the Father, but Jesus paid the price for our rebellion as the perfect sacrifice for our sin. And if God has provided for our greatest need, will He not stand with us in our daily trials as well? Zion will rule over Esau (Obadiah 1:17, 21). Christ’s elect will reign with Him in glory. There is escape, refuge, and a future in Zion - in Christ - in obedience to the Father. Will we be found there, faithfully resting in the hope of His holy mountain?



Matt Fowler
Associate Pastor of Missions & Students
matt@nbchurch.info
@fattmowler

No comments:

Post a Comment