Monday, February 8, 2016

When we can't move...

“…the Lord being merciful to him…” Genesis 19:16

How sweet is this phrase! How unlikely for us to discover it within this passage. While we later read in the same chapter of Sodom and Gomorrah being destroyed with sulfur and fire from heaven, here we see that Lot and his family were graciously preserved, despite dragging their feet along the way. And it is the divine mercy displayed in this text that should serve as our encouragement this morning.

Lot was in shock. His hometown was about to be decimated. Everyone and everything was about to be destroyed. The angels sent for his rescue informed him that it was time to flee the city; in fact, there was not another minute left to spare. Yet even when confronted with the dire reality of the hour – that he must immediately go, he still failed to respond. Scripture says Lot hesitated; he lingered; he was resistant to move toward his only hope. Nevertheless, God was merciful; the angels grabbed Lot by the hand and maneuvered he and his family to safety.


And this should bring us comfort. For even when we are stuck – unable to move, powerless to change, incapable of doing that which must be done, we have God – One who is immeasurably rich in mercy. There have been times when I felt completely frozen. Paralyzed by fear and without clear direction, I was helpless to determine what to do. I’ve had many a tough days where my strength has failed me, innumerable moments when my faith has waned. I’ve been aware of my heart’s rebellion, but too weak to mortify my flesh. Like Lot, I hesitated; I lingered and moped; I sulked in my sin. But God was merciful.

He didn’t send visible angels to my aid, but He didn’t leave me alone either. He met me where I was. Like David describes in Psalm 40:2, God pulled me up from the miry bog (the pit where I had remained unmoved), and placed my feet upon the rock (back to solid footing in my faith). God has rescued me in more times and ways than I can detail in this blog, and here’s the point. This is who He is and how He works! He is extravagantly gracious and merciful in spite of us. When we can’t muster the words to say, He speaks gently to our spirit. The One, who raised us from death to life, restores and repairs our souls when they’ve grown tired and weary. He does this because of His love and abundance of grace.

And this is how He acts without any request or effort of our own. Sure, Abraham had prayed on behalf of his nephew (Genesis 18:22-33), and we know that other saints are surely interceding for us as well. Yet what if we were to ask? What if we were to cry out for Living Water? What if we were to make our requests known to Him? Why would He not come? Not that He has to, not that He is obligated in the least, but is that not His character? Lot, fully aware of impending doom, had to be seized and dragged to safety by the angels. Even with the knowledge he had obtained, if left alone, he too would have been burned with brimstone, for he would have never moved. Would our Good Shepherd not carry His sheep to safe pasture? Is it too daunting a task for Him? Are you really too much for the Savior – the One who has conquered sin and death? Can He not deliver you this day?

My hope is that we might evaluate today’s struggles in light of the hope we have in Christ. Let’s see how he has worked in our personal history. Let’s then observe how God has graciously dealt with His people through the ages. This will bring us confidence – not in ourselves, but in our merciful Lord. I’ll conclude with a line from one of our modern hymns of worship, “Lord, I Need You.” I pray we can each sing this in truth.

“And when I cannot stand, I’ll fall on You.

Jesus, You’re my hope and stay.”

Matt Fowler
Associate Pastor of Missions & Students
matt@nbchurch.info
@fattmowler

No comments:

Post a Comment