Thursday, July 9, 2015

God's Grace Is The Fuel For Mission

On Tuesday mornings we have been studying a book called "The Gospel Centered Life" written by Robert H. Thune and Will Walker. This past Tuesday the chapter we covered is titled "The Gospel Propels Us Outward". There is a portion of the chapter that one of the authors talk about their internal struggle to reach out to their neighbor. He knows that he should, but he really doesn't have anything in common with him, he is older and just wants to talk about the old days when he served in Vietnam. Here is are some excerpts from Chapter 7 in the quotes below. I have underlined and placed in bold some sentences and words for extra emphasis:


"For months I labored under guilt in my relationship with my neighbor. I knew I should reach out and befriend him. But that sense of "should" had no motivational power. It was law, not Gospel. It could show me what I ought to be doing, but it could not change my heart so that I actually wanted to do it. I was faced with a dilemma: either force myself to love and serve my neighbor even though I didn't want to, or ignore him and do nothing at all. I knew that ignoring him was sin, but the first option didn't feel much better. Was joyless, mechanical obedience really honoring to Jesus? Did God intend his commands to feel like drudgery?"

"When faced with this dilemma, most people settle for either legalism (obey even though you don't feel like it) or license (don't obey at all). But neither of these is gospel! The gospel of God's grace is the fuel for mission, and when we run low on that fuel, our love and service to others grinds to a halt."

"The answer to my dilemma with my neighbor came through the gospel. As God's grace began to renew my heart, I saw that the root problem was my own selfishness and lack of love. My love for my neighbor was conditional--if he were younger, or smarter, or had more in common with me, I would have appreciated him more. I began to repent of this sin and renew my mind by the promises of the gospel--especially the fact that God loved me while I was still a sinner (Rom 8:5). God had graciously moved toward me when I had nothing in common with him. Certainly, by God's grace, I could love my neighbor in the same way! As the gospel renewed my heart, a strange thing happened. My attitude toward my neighbor began to change. I began to feel a true love and appreciation for him. And it wasn't a feeling I had mustered up, but one that came naturally. The internal renewal of the gospel propelled me outward. in love and service toward my neighbor. Mission became a joy, not a burden."

"Grasping the external propulsion of God's grace is crucial to our understanding of mission. It means that mission is not a duty (something we "should do") but a natural overflow of the gospels work inside us. If you aren't motivated to love, serve and speak the gospel to people, the answer isn't to "just do it". The answer is to examine your heart, repent of sin, discern where your unbelief is short-circuiting the natural outward movement of the gospel. As the gospel renews your heart, it will also renew your desire to move out in faith into the relationships and opportunities God places in your path."

"To put it simply, the grace of God is always going somewhere--moving forward, extending his kingdom, propelling his people toward love and service to others. As we learn to live in light of the gospel, mission should be the natural overflow. God's grace brings renewal internally (in us) so that it might bring renewal externally (through us)."

"13 For you were called to be free, brothers; only don’t use this freedom as an opportunity for the flesh, but serve one another through love. 14 For the entire law is fulfilled in one statement: Love your neighbor as yourself. (Galations 5:13-14)"


After reading Chapter 7 in this book and working through it in my own heart, my prayer is this: "God, please forgive me for not reaching out to my neighbor, when Your grace has already given me the heart to reach out and build a "Christ-like,loving" relationship with them. Forgive me for my sin of selfishness, for NOT using the freedom you have given me through your grace, to serve others with love. Lord Jesus, you know who those people are that I have not engaged with. I ask your forgiveness. Lord Jesus, help me to "see" them differently. Lord Jesus, help me to "see" my "neighbors" as You do, with "Your eyes" and "Your heart". In Jesus Name I Pray. Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment