Monday, March 7, 2016

He is for us...

"This I know, that God is for me." Psalm 56:9

Friend, can you affirm this truth? It's a simple statement, yet one of great profundity - "God is for me." Christian, do you know that He is for you? Do you believe so in your soul? This was David's hope in the darkest hour of trial. He knew that indeed, God was for him. 

How I wish I could get my heart wrapped around Scripture's promise here! I know that He loves me. At least I know that He loved me by sending His one and only Son to die in my place. I understand that Jesus endured the cross for me; He was crucified for my sins, as well as for all the sins of those that will come to believe upon His Name. Surely, no greater love exists! He loved me, but does He love me now? Still? Because despite my wholehearted acknowledgement of Christ's atoning work, I regularly stumble. I inwardly wrestle against the evil desires of my rebellious flesh. 

If some "friend" of mine were to be as unfaithful to me as I am Christ, I'd sever that relationship in a heartbeat. But God is different. He doesn't run away. He won't even allow me to push Him away when I feel ashamed about my past. Rather, He stays near. Truly, God not only loves me, He likes me; He enjoys fellowship with me; His Holy Spirit has tabernacled within me. In fact, when I am without friend or family, strength and support, there is One that sticks closer than a brother. He's never left, nor will He depart from me at some point in the future. Even when my disobedience attempts to extinguish His fire and quiet His voice, He remains, simultaneously comforting and convicting in a way that only He can. Is this not proof that the Lord is for me?

Despite the tears and fears and all the troubles he faced, David could confidently cry out to God in his time of need, because he knew that His Lord was for him. "Then my enemies will turn back in the day when I call. This I know, that God is for me (Psalm 56:9)."

As Paul describes the everlasting nature of God's love in Romans 8, he exclaims that there is no condemnation for those who are in Christ! Additionally, he highlights that there is literally nothing than that can separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord (Romans 8:31-39)! But how does He start this precious passage? "If God is for us..."

If God is for us, and He is, how might that change things? How ought we respond? What if we began to see Him for the loving Father that He is? What if we knew that we could call on Him in full confidence that we've been heard? He's near; He knows what we're walking through; He both loves us and likes us; He's not only with us, but within us. Indeed, He is for us!


Matt Fowler
Associate Pastor of Missions & Students
matt@nbchurch.info
@fattmowler

No comments:

Post a Comment