Monday, March 23, 2015

Who says you are behind?

Do you ever get behind on things? If I’m completely honest, I feel like I spend most of my life operating from the “just trying to get caught up” mode. It’s exhausting and it’s largely my own fault. Perhaps one of these days I will learn to say “no” more often; maybe I’ll procrastinate less and avoid the lackadaisical days that lend to my lagging pace. But before you dismiss this as just another blog about “how busy Matt is,” allow me to clarify. In NO way am I looking for your sympathy. I’ve identified my problem and it’s me (and I’m seeking help from the Lord and His people with this issue). No, I write today because I’ve observed that some of my physical tendencies in this recent season have unfortunately carried over into how I approach aspects of my spiritual life.

This past winter was tough on me. With colder temps, less sunlight, plenty of tasty food, and limited opportunities to be outside and active, my weight fluctuated (more up than down) and my muscle tone seemingly vanished. So thankful I am that spring is finally here! However, there is lots of catching up to do…or at least that is how it feels. Needless to say, my response to being out of shape is less than balanced. It is also far from healthy.

I tend to try to make up for a season’s worth of missed jogs in one week’s time, and that’s a bad idea. For one, if I am actually able to get out on the road and survive a long run (aka slow jog/walk), then I’m usually too sore to exercise for the next several days that follow. Yet often I don’t think I have enough time to do all I want or need to do, so instead, I do nothing. It doesn’t take a genius to observe that each approach is lacking. In fact, each only further compounds my trouble. But it gets better (and by better I mean that it gets much worse).


So when I finally do get out and exercise, you know what I do right after I’m finished. Well, after I shadow box and raise my arms in victory a la Rocky Balboa, I go hit the scales. Have I lost weight?! I lift up my shirt and stare at my abs (or where I think they used to be) to see if a six-pack has suddenly emerged. And guess what? Yep, there is no noticeable change. And though I desperately want things to be different, because I’m only focusing on visible change, I end up feeling more discouraged than before I even started. It hinders me from moving toward the real progress that might be possible because it feels like I’ll never get there. It seems like I am just wasting my time.

Did you know that if you continue to open your oven door, checking the status of your cooking casserole, you will eventually prolong its being ready on time and quite possibly alter the quality of your final product. Why? Each casserole has a specific time and temperature that is necessary for it to arrive at its optimum deliciousness. The process is slow (especially when I’m hungry) but that’s part of it – there is a plan to be worked, baking to take place. Every time the door opens, heat escapes and the oven has to work harder to recover. While my use of this illustration sheds some light on my dilemma (I like consuming calories more than burning them), it also reveals a portion of why we unnecessarily experience discouragement spiritually.

Our sanctification is a process that should always seem too slow, lest we fall into the sin of complacency and self-righteousness. Likewise it also requires the heat of trial and adversity, for these things produce a maturity in us that cannot be manufactured in any other way. So whether we immediately remove ourselves from the heat of hard times because its uncomfortable or we continue to focus on visible growth, in so doing we interrupt God’s divine design for us.

The more I open the oven door, the longer before my casserole is ready and the greater my frustration. Just as one run does not solve my physical needs, nor does one workout a six-pack make, one day of faithfulness to the Lord does not a complete my calling, nor does another prayer make me a sanctified (notice past tense – finished) saint. Constantly looking for results and transformation can become a discouragement, and eventually lead us to quit the plan.

Given, we will never be a completed casserole (so to speak); we’ll never be spiritually fit specimens of perfection on this side of heaven. But we can move forward…we should move forward! Our growth in the Lord takes time; it requires consistency. It is also only capable by God’s grace. As I’ve spent much time contemplating these things of late, it is as if the Holy Spirit is pleading with me, reminding me of this: Stop looking in the mirror and look to Jesus! Friend, you and I will never look better than when we’re reflecting Him.


And the best news of all is that in Christ, there is no catching up to do (even if it feels like it), for He has accomplished the work already. He has reconciled us to the Father. Yes, Jesus takes us as the chubby, out of breath, easily distracted sheep that we are, and He calls us to follow Him, reminding us that He will be with us every step of the way. Just keep moving…Just keep walking…Baby steps, little wins along the way, calories being burned, old habits slowly fading, over time we will see Him more clearly, and we will reflect Him more brightly. May we not grow weary in the interim, and might our gaze never shift from the glorious thought of His gospel and its implications on our lives.

Matt Fowler
NBC Family Pastor of HS
@fattmowler

No comments:

Post a Comment